Stuck...Rem 870

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by thegavel, Nov 18, 2009.

1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I am looking for the green J keys for the built in trigger locks... any idea where I could get one outside of Remington themselves?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never heard of em,Is that some kind of NEW Self preservation gimmic from the gov. ?:crazy:

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    The J-Lock is a safety with an integral lock. The key is a pin that has a "J" shape to it.

I believe that Remington stopped using them in 2005...

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Midway or Brownells might have them.

My 12ga 870 has the stupid J lock. I have thought about replacing the safety button. Did you lock it, or did it lock by accident (on its own)? I haven't had any problems with mine, but i've heard rumors about how they can lock on their own. After getting up early and going thru the work of setting out decoys, or getting to a stand, I would be royally pissed if my safety wouldn't come off.

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    The stuck part was me without the key LOL

I have not had any problems with my gun to date, I just lost the key...

One time I got the lock half turned, got out in the field and missed a pheasant because I couldn't shoot, I took the whole dang gun apart to see what happened... come to find out... the dang trigger lock was a hair tight... that was back when I had the key LOL

Now I am just without one, and with kids coming around for the holidays, I am trying to lock my firearms up a little better...

????? Anyone know if the 700 is the same key as the 870???

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
  7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Another thing to thank the lawyers for. Taurus has the same kind of thing going with their newer handguns....and I hate the internal locks. But I've got one of the newer Remingtons also....Looks like it's gonna be the wave of the future.
    When my son was younger, and kids in the house all the time, I kept a Browning Hi-Power. It has a magazine disconnect, and I never minded that the way I do the new fangled stuff. It wouldn't fire if the mag was removed, and stuffing one in was quick as lightning, not like fumbling with a key. You could do it in the dark.

9. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    educating children, is key also:big_smile: but you can never be to safe.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009