stuck open float on a 33hp evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by basebklyn7, Jun 23, 2009.

1. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    got a quick question and am hoping for a couple thoughts on the matter.
    i had my fishing boat out a week and a half ago sunday. the motor ran good as usually. tried to take it out yesterday evening and it started right off then quit after a few seconds. took the cowl off and tried starting it again. it would not turn over after that. after trying to turn it over for a couple seconds, gas would shoot out of the air inlet for the carb. does this usually mean the float is stuck open? ive never had this problem before.
    if this is the problem. is there an easy way to unstick it without tearing the whole carburetor apart?
    thanks
    sean

edit * this is a 1970 evinrude 33 hp.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If the needle is not seating, then there is probably a bit of trash in there. Carb removal and disassembly/cleaning is so easy, that would be the proper fix.

Bill in SC

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Pull the plugs and try turning it over,. Watch what comes out of the plug holes.

4. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    thanks for the replies guys.. i appreciate it..
    bob, what should i be looking for when starting after plugs are pulled?

5. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    just went out and pulled the plugs, and tried starting it once. i didn't see anything come from the plug wholes, just a bunch of gas shooting out the front of the carb.?

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It must of been cranking then, Gas shooting out the front, indicates broken reed valves.

If gas shot out a plug hole. it would indicate a possible ruptured diaphagm on the fuel pump, allowing gas in to the cyl, through the pulse hole.

To be sure, pull the carb and look into the manifold that your carb mounts to, use a flash light to inspect the reeds, lightly push on each on, be sure nothing has been sucked in and is blocking the reeds from closing.