Stuck on the bank in the Mid-South

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by iceTrey81, Jun 13, 2008.

1. iceTrey81

iceTrey81 New Member

State:
    MS
    Ok, I have been searching and searching for places to fish around here. It's frustrating enough being stuck on the bank with no boat but add bad luck on top of it.. wow! We fish the spillways a good bit but not much luck. Seems like if I ever catch 1 good fish, that's it, no more for the rest of the night. Places we have already tried are: Sardis, Enid, Arkabutla & Horn Lake Boat landing (on the Mississippi).
    I have tried every rig, hook and bait imaginable.

We usually go down during weeknights and do late fishing to beat the heat and crowd. If anyone else on here lives in or around the Mid-South and wants to share some locations and tips for them, I would be forever grateful!

I've been searching for a nice place on the Mississippi to do some night bank fishing but to no avail. I figured there would have to be some places around here that's not all "snakey" and grown up. Ok, I'm finished rambling. Any help is appreciated! :big_smile:

-Trey

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC. Wrong area for me to comment on but I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon. Good luck.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Trey, I wish I could offer some solid help but I'm pretty much in the same boat (or lack of) that you are. I live in Memphis and have been searching for a good spot to land the big'uns from the bank and so far they have eluded me. I've found a few descent spots on the MS River in Memphis and North of and even caught a couple of nice 5-6lbers but the getting hung up situatioon is brutally tough fishing along the rocky banks. I'm headed North near Covington tonight to try and relocate a spot I used to know of. I'll keep you updated on the luck. If all goes well I'll be fishing on a smooth sand bar tonight.

4. iceTrey81

iceTrey81 New Member

State:
    MS
    bluejay: thanks, I appreciate the welcome!

patrick: Best of luck and definitely let me know how you do and how the spot is. We're going to try the spillway at Sardis again next week but we're going to attempt to use 3-6" bluegills and see if that changes our luck. My buddy got a $300+ fine for using a 3/0 hook for cats instead of the legal #2 so we probably won't be going to the state places much more. Hard to use large live bait on a #2 I would think.

Oh, and how do you find spots on the river? I am always worried I'm going to end up getting shot on private property. haha Also I heard about a place down in Tunica called Mhoon Landing (It's part of the Mississippi) that was supposedly good for cats. Ever heard of it?

-Trey

5. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    there is big sand bar that comes out in the summer at shelby forest state park in millington on the river, that is only when the water is low tho, i cant believe its the middle of june and the water is still as high as it was in the winter.

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well I found the sand bar I was looking for tonight but it was covered in river except about 15 feet of standing ground (10 when a barge came by) :smile2:. anyway I made it out the spot right by Duvall Landing off HWY 59 in Covington. I got a late start and the only bait I got my hands on were worms and they proved useless. I did see some locals fishing the sand bar with minnows. One guy even caught a nice 5 or 6 lb. Flathead. It was just nice to fish without getting hung up all the time. The next time I go there I'll be taking a bucket of live Bream or Jumbo Goldfish.
    Anyway Trey- I fished at Sardis about a month ago and I could'nt buy a fish. I was surprised at how downhill that spillway has gone. It used to be the Crappie fishing capital and last time I fished there it was so stagnant and junky I was expecting to reel in a dirty diaper. I think the stocking and maintenance of that place is way under what it should be.
    Enid however was pretty good. That place has really become a nice place to fish since they added that hatchery. Only thing about Enid is all the Cats I caught there were small.
    Arkabutla is pretty descent. I always have fun catching big Gar there and you get the hope of a nice Flathead.
    I've heard the same thing about Moon Landing but never been there I'd like to check it out. Like Chris said Shelby Forrest has a nice sand bar but right now the river is up way to high. Theres also a nice place to fish the River by Downtown Memphis called Harbor Town or Greenbelt Park only problem there is lots on snags in the water like rocks and stuff. And if you don't mind climb steep rocky banks I saw a guy pull in a 10 pounder out the other at Tom Lee park right on Riverside drive. and I have yet to explore the possibilities on the Arkansas side around the bridges. Some say it's good fishing there and some say it's posted no tresspassing since the 911 thing. Hope some of this helps.

7. PDR

PDR New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Trey
    Where is Horn Lake boat landing??

As can be seen, this is my 1st. post on the "Brotherhood", but will add my small bit of information. Your ? was about bank fishing the old Miss and I have never fished the Miss. so no help there. However, all may not be lost, as I have recently moved to the Hernando area and being retired I have the opportunity to fish/hunt 3-4 times a week. As it is getting hot I usually make a short early morning run to fish below the Arkabutla Outlet. The Spawn is about to get in gear for the cats so the hookup's are few now but will be good again in a couple of weeks. However, there is a boat ramp below the outlet on the south side. Park in the lot at the ramp and walk west along the river and there are several really good spots where you can get down to the water and get some hookup's. The property is all Corps of E. (Federal) and or State land so open to all. I have had fairly good luck there and also in the riprap on the North side. A warning thought, take lots of extra equipment as every time I have fished there the gross national product of china goes up with the replacing of lost weights/hooks/leaders and line. Not a complaint, just a fact, as I dearly love the opportunity to loose all the equuipment I can.
    May see you down there some time.

Phil
    AIRBORNE

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Haha if you love the opportunity to lose equipment you should come fishing with me. If theres rocks around and a current and I have a fishing pole in my hand the losing of equipment is own like a pot of neck bones. I can show you some places where you can do that til your hearts content. :smile2: And to add even more flavor to the boil try going at night. I will typically rig up about 5 or 6 back up 3-way swivel, hook and weight rigs and use them all fishing on the Ms River bank. but I did here Bill Dance say once "if you ain't snaggin you ain't fishin". I suppose an attitude of gratitude can be found in between you and that 150 lb. log somewhere. I keep working and hope to get there someday. :big_smile:

9. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    welcome to the boc

10. iceTrey81

iceTrey81 New Member

State:
    MS
    PDR: The Horn Lake Boat Launch is off of Old 61 on Bass Landing Road. It's a decent spot, didn't snag the first time but there is only about a 10' stretch of clear standing room. A ton more if you don't mind standing in weeds.

Thanks for the Arkabutla Tips! I'll have to give those spots a try. I usually just fish at the spillway and I know what you mean about lost equipment. I go through at least $15 a night in sinkers, hooks and rigs.

Chris: Thanks for the tip, if the water ever goes back down some I will give that a shot too!

Patrick: Sucks you didn't have any luck but saving equipment is always a plus! haha Sardis has gone down a lot. I have been going down there at least once a week for the past 4 months. The bite isn't bad when the spillway is open under 2' but when they opened it up to 6' it was really tough to fish without a snag on every cast. The fish are definitely still there though, just about a week ago a guy hooked a 57lb flathead off the top of the spillway with live bait.

I used to enjoy bass fishing and the bite is really good for 5+lbers right against the rocks this time of year with dark spinnerbaits.

Since they legalized snagging year round we have had some luck (Ok everyone, don't hate me cuz I snag!!):embarassed: haha. I snagged an 80+lb bighead carp. Junk fish but was a fun fight. Plenty of spoonbills up to 65lbs. As far as tightlining the biggest I have hooked at Sardis this year was a 12lb blue.

My buddy and I have been "carpooling" since gas is so high when we go fish but if anyone who bank fishes around here wants to get in on the action (or lack of) just let me know. Share a ride and share what knowledge we may have. haha

Anyone that has a boat and has a couple of seats open and knows how to find the big ones, let me know. I'll be more than happy to buy the gas!

-Trey

11. PDR

PDR New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    The BOC seem like a great resource of information and a group of like minded people to chat with. Hey guys, thanks for the welcome aboard.
    TO ALL OF YOU DAD'S OUT THERE, HAVE A HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Phil
    AIRBORNE

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Hey Trey,
    If you like snaggin, the Reelfoot spillway is amazing. You can snag giant Bigheads and Buffalo til your arms fall off or break your reel whichever comes first. I went there a couple of weeks ago. I actually caught some good sized Buffalo and Bowfin fishing on the bottom with worms too. about a hundred to 200 hundred yards below the spillway there the water gets really shallow and you can latch onto some real giants. Theres actually a large group of guys who Bowfish there because the fish are so big and easy to see swimming around. Heres a couple of pics from my last trip there a few weeks ago.

Attached Files:

13. iceTrey81

iceTrey81 New Member

State:
    MS
    Patrick,

Where is the Reelfoot? Never heard of it.

I can't respond to your PM yet b/c I haven't posted 10 posts but to answer a couple of your questions..

It is illegal to fish with anything larger than a #2 hook (#2, not a 2/0) in Arkabutla or Sardis (not sure if this applies to the upper lakes but definitely the spillways). This includes all types of fishing involving hooks, not just snagging. It's an automatic $300+ fine if caught.

Having said that, I can understand a lot of restrictions on snagging. But seriously, if you are using a large bluegill to tightline.. how in the heck are you supposed to hook him where he'll stay on a #2 hook?!?!

We did a lot of checking and according to the MDWFP this is fact and enforceable. So if you plan on fishing on Corp. maintained spillways.. BE AWARE!! You can go to the corps web site at MDWFP.com to read all the restrictions and rules for lakes and spillways if you didn't already know. Also they offer some really good fishing reports posted weekly for all/most of MS's lakes, spillways and I believe the MS river too.

For anyone that might find this useful, I have also heard a lot of reports of fisherpeople catching bad cats. A lot of mercury tainted meat. I'm not an expert but something about yellow meat? Just thought I'd share that with all my fellow MS fisherpeople.

-Trey

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Reelfoot is a lake that was created way back in the 1800's by an earthquake that caused the MS River to flow backwards temporarily. It's a historical event. The lake is huge, it's located about 125 miles north of Memphis. Just take HWY 51 North all the way to 78 take a left and then its about 25 more miles.

Perhaps sometime we could carpool up to Reelfoot on a weekend. I've been wanting to do some nightfishing at the lake. I've got a feeling you might could catch some big flatheads fishing the shallows there at night with Live Bluegill.

Heres a link to some Reelfoot Lake fishing info.
    http://www.tennesseesportsmanmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/tn_aa065003a/index.html

15. PDR

PDR New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Just for clarification;

As has been mentioned above the use of LARGER than #2 single hooks at the Corps lakes is a NO NO. However, this reg. only applies during the period of Dec. through the last day of Feb., the rest of the year, any sized single hook or hooks is a go! ( 1 rod, no more than 2 hooks spaced at least 1 inch apart, which means no Colorado rigs)
    However, this limitation only applies to the area from the outlet to the end of the riprap.

Phil
    AIRBORNE

16. iceTrey81

iceTrey81 New Member

State:
    MS
    Patrick: We can all get together and do that sometime soon. Would be fun.

PDR: I checked back on the web site again and unless there is a typo the #2 hook limit on the spillway lasts the entire year. Here is the exact words from the regulations....

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Also anglers fishing the waters listed in A-H may use no more than one (1) pole or rod per person with no more than two (2) single hooks, single hooks must be at least one inch apart or use one artificial lure with no more than two (2) treble hooks no larger than # 2. No treble hooks larger than #2 are allowed.

Anglers fishing the waters listed in I-J may use no more than one (1) pole or rod per person with no more than (2) single hooks, single hooks must be at least one inch apart and must be no larger than a #2 or use one artificial lure with no more than two (2) treble hooks no larger than #2 from December 1 until the last day of February. Anglers may use any size single hook or treble hooks no larger than #2 the remaining days of the year.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    So unless they did a typo there where it says no larger than #2 for the remaining days of the year, that would read that no larger than a #2 period. Right?

When talking to the wardens face to face and going through the ordeal or appealing the ticket, they told my buddy that a #2 was the limit and went on to say they are cracking down heavy on all violations this year. Obviously from the tickets he got they are cracking down so much that they are giving out tickets for offenses that aren't even ticketable. lol Must have a batch of rookies hired on or something.

We went to a local private lake last night to just relax and catch some cats. Well we succeeded but the problem was everything that came out of there smelled horrible. I wondered what would cause this? Any ideas? The lake itself doesn't smell at all but I hooked a soft-shell turtle at the first of night and it smelled like a dirty diaper wrapped in hot garbage!:eek:oooh::crazy: Then as we caught the cats, they had the same horrible smell. Although the bream didn't have a stench at all? Kinda confused me?

17. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I thought I should just say that i have the same problem yall do.

Patrick- My profile picture was caught at the greenbel park where the wolf river comes out if you didnt already notice.

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Trey- So it seems that the size limit is on treble hooks and not single hooks. Thats good for me because I mainly use single hooks anyway. Hard to hook a bream or goldfish with a treble lol.

Chris- I did not realize that your pic was taken at Greenbelt. That place looks like a good place to fish. I went there twice now. The first time I fished on the rocks toward the leftside of the lott or main boat ramp and got hung up constantly (really strong current). The second time I fish on the right boat ramp by the mouth of the wolf. I still got hung up quite a bit and actually had a good one for a sec and then became hung up. It was like the fish swam into some rocks or something. Anyway both times no dice but I do plan to return and try again. My biggest problem with fishing the river is getting hung up. It seems like no matter how much or how little amount of weight I use I get hung pretty much constantly. And it also seems no matter how far out or close to the bank I cast I get hung. This is definitely a problem that I'm hoping I will get better at avoiding. I even try casting up river and down river and still get the same result. :angry: Got any suggestions?

19. PDR

PDR New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    patricgd is right, the limitation of no larger than #2 hook is for treble hooks only.
    iceTrey81 sorry but you are wrong! The differance is in a SINGLE hook not a TREBLE hook; "However, this reg. only applies during the period of Dec. through the last day of Feb., the rest of the year, any sized single hook or hooks is a go!"

Phil
    AIRBORNE

20. iceTrey81

iceTrey81 New Member

State:
    MS
    Wasn't trying to argue. I guess I had just been reading that last sentence wrong for the past year! lol Trust me, I wasn't trying to argue, in fact I am glad you guys cleared that one up for me!! Made my night! We are heading down to Sardis tonight and now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

No need to get snippy with me. lol I'll admit when I am wrong. No worries here. :big_smile:

Patrick: lol I know what you mean. I use singles 99% of the time as well. I just have been misreading that to mean that single hooks had to be #2 or smaller ALL of the year.

I'll be sure to let you guys know if we have any luck at Sardis tonight.