Stuck on the bank in the Mid-South 2

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by patrickgd, Jun 29, 2009.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I thought I'd get this thread going again. It was a pretty descent thread last year til the couple of folks that were on it lost interest. Anyway we had folks from Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas on here but anyone is more than welcome.

Lets talk Bank Fishing in the Mid south!:wink:

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Maybe I'm the only bank fisherman with internet access :smile2:

3. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hello Pat

well, I try and do a little of both, sometime I think it is better to fish off the bank, just depends on being in the right place at the right time:smile2:

I cant really tell the difference in how many Mosquito bites that I get, if I am in a boat or on the bank.

cliff

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I hear ya Cliff. I fish around Memphis on the Mississippi River. What area do you fish?

5. iceTrey81

iceTrey81 New Member

State:
    MS
    I'm going to start trying to get my butt back on here more often. I've been about twice a week for the past few months and can't catch nothin' but a heat stroke! Anyone having any luck on the bank?

6. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey, we are not catching anything over here either, I caught three last week, and my buddy went out last night and caught four, (((That is all night fishing)))) just small Channel Cat's, we fish mostly the Current River and the Black River, but it has been slow here for a month now, the Spawn has got to be over by now, went to Lake Ashbaugh yesterday got 2 bites, got broke off on the one, might have been a Gar, useing cut Shad,

The water has really been high over here for about 2 months, starting to get back to normal, so maybe it will pick up,

I live about a three hour drive to Memphis,

cliff

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    All I've caught lately off the bank is some mean hard fighting Channel Cats. Got a feeling though it's about to get good. The Miss is falling and I think I'll soon be able to fish some good spots I've found. Thinking about trying some sandy areas at night this weekend using Live Gills and skipjack. All I'm lookin for is 1 good'un!

Trey damn good to see you back on here again! I got your number, gonna give you a call. I've found quite a few promising spots we can give em all a try soon.

8. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I Have been going to the spillways but all Ive been connecting with are Gar! I too feel like its about to get good. I think the spawn has messed up the fishing lately.

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Glad you found this thread Bruce! I've done my fair share of fishing at the spillways but never have put in any serious consistent time at them. I do know what you mean though about them Gar, for some reason they are infested with them.
    I have'nt decided where I'll be fishing this weekend but one things for sure, I'll be fishing somewhere and most likely at the river.
    Good luck to yall and happy 4th of July!:wink:

10. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Good morning guys,

Just thought I would stop by and wish you a Happy 4th of July,

I dont have a lot planned , this little river here by the house, will be (((PACKED))) with jet ski's and boats, wont be able to do much fishing,

have a good one,

cliff

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    A Happy 4th of July to you guys! I had a rare treat this morning when I was invited to go fishing out on the Big Muddy with BOC brother JDoyle:big_smile:. It was a short trip and a tough bite but I thoroughly enjoyed being on the river and fishing with Josh. We did manage to narrowly avoid sniffing the skunk by catching 1 fish which was and a fiesty 1.5 lb Blue. He took a bait that was nearly as big as he was :smile2:!
    Going fishing with IceTrey tonight so gotta go catch some bait and get ready for that. Hopefully we'll have something to show and talk about on here later. :wink:

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Not much luck for Me Trey and his wife last night. But it was'nt due to lack of our best efforts. We had plenty of (highly energetic) Blue
    Gill and blood squirting Skipjack and only managed to catch a few small fish. Trey did however come very close to having his rod yanked into the river once but somehow the fish did'nt find the hook :confused2:???? hate it when that happens.

13. OleMiss

OleMiss New Member

State:
    ms
    Dont know if ya'll Memphis boys care or not but, my brother and some friends caught about 400 pds of catfish last Friday night at Mckellar Lake off the grain elevators.

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Kenny I sent you a PM but I just realized you probally can't respond til you've posted 10 times. Anyway what I was wondering is did your brother catch any big fish down there at the grain elevators? I've never fished there cause I usually do my best to abide by all the "no tresspassing" "no hunting or fishing" signs but might make an exception to catch some big fish :wink:. Anyway...welcome to the BOC and thanks for the report. I think the only thing I've been missing in my fishing trips lately is the presence of fish :smile2:. Might just give it try down there,but not much point in catching a bunch of eaters that you can't eat though :eek:oooh:. God only knows what they dump in that lake.

15. OleMiss

OleMiss New Member

State:
    ms
    Its perfectly legal to fish there. You will catch some that have a bad smell to em and slimy too...throw them back...lol...I personally wont eat fish that come from there anymore...but, I have in the past and they tasted fine....but, I cant get past all that smoke bellowing in the air...you know its gotta be ten times worse whatever they are dumping in the water!:crazy:

They caught em from 2 - 15 pds...with the average being around 3-5 pds. Chicken liver with no weight ...at night...fish will hit it on the fall...very agressive.

16. OleMiss

OleMiss New Member

State:
    ms
    I forgot to say this was fishing out of a boat...not on the bank...sorry ya'll.

17. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I have caught a bunch of fish there dont care to eat them they are strong but always have a great time fishing
    Go Rebeis Hotty totty
    T Man

18. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Went fishing on the Sardis Spillway on Monday. There was not much going on and only caught 3 little ones. The shad were there and was able to get a little bait though.

19. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Fished last night below the I55 Bridge on the W Memphis Ark. side. Used Live Bream and Frz. skips with no luck at all. stayed from dusk til 2 am finally caught "the bait stealer" a 15 lb Gar. Aside from listening to the constant thumping of the bridge sounding like the theme song from "Green Acres" it was pretty uneventful. Hope someone else did better. :confused2:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  20. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I hope to see you at tunica for the gathering we may do a little bank fishing at nite