Stuck em good!

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by baitchunker, Nov 2, 2007.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    me and my uncle mike went out gigging last night. the water was beautiful and clear. we didnt stick a bunch maybe 20-25 flounder, but they were quality flatfish. the average was 3#. the best (which i gigged) was 5.5#. it was agreat night. now i have to go fillet flounder instead of going to lunch. oh well, such is the plight of a fisherman.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    as the saying goes " it's a messy job but somebody has to do it"---that's a pretty good night!!!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a fun night J.D. I've never ate one are they pretty good eating?

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Now I want some flounder.

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Think of it as you're making lunch other than takin lunch.:wink:

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    WOW what a haul. I love fresh flounder. It goes well with everything & is awesome stuffed with crab meat or fried.

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Too bad WV doesn't have salt water.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    With the strict regs up here 20-25 flounder is about 2 seasons worth. Seventeen and a half inches up here before ya can keep em.

9. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Chopped roma tomato
    McCormiks mediterrainean sea food seasoning
    lemon juice
    olive oil
    butter
    flounder
    salt & pepper
    Put some oil in glass baking dish,sprinkle tomato in bottom,season fish & lay on top,sprinkle more tomato on top squeeze lemon on fish,put thin pats of butter on,a little salt & pepper and bake at 350 until done.:002:

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    down here we really dont have a creel limit. as long as they are 12 inches or longer.

that sounds like a good recipe, i might give that a try. has anyone ever grilled a flounder? i have had it, but never tried doing it myself.

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi J.D, please excuse my ignorance, is gigging the same as spearing? How exactly is it done?

Jaime

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i guess its kinda the same.

what i do is use about a 15' 3/4 dowell rod with a 3 prong stainless steel curved gig on the end, kinda like a really long handled pitch fork.

i have a piece of plywood that slides onto a homemade bracket on the front of my boat. it has 2 light sockets that i screw 2 100 Watt 12 volt light bulbs into. i run them off of my trolling battery. as long as the lights stay under water they wont get too hot and bust.

then all i do is go pole the boat around the flats and channel edges in the delta and bay at night. usually in 2.5 ft of water or less. flounder show up pretty good against the bottom, so when i see one, i pole over to it. push my gig about 8-10 inches above his head. stab him really hard in the gill plates, and sort of pitch him into the boat.

its a helluva good time. i like it because it combines hunting/stalking with fishing. plus flounder are pretty dang tasty.

13. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    baitchuncker,

just starting to look into doing some red fishing. i have a carolina skiff j16 with a 25 hp, do you think this would be alright to go out to dixie bar.
    just looking for a good place to start doing some saltwater fishing close to montgomery.

14. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    on a calm day it should be ok. but, i have to tell ya that is a great boat for fishing the flats and bays of the lower delta. the reds, specks, flounder are just as plentiful in the northern end of the bay and lower half of the delta. (depending on conditions of course i.e. salinity, temp. etc.)

if i were you i would start the hunt for redfish on the north side of the bay maybe around the causeway, battleship, or in blakley river, tensaw, mobile, apalachee, where they pour out of the delta into the bay. then i would slowly work my way south towards the big water. let me know when you plan on heading this way and we will try to hook up. i might be able to put yopu on some local hot spots.

15. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    What a catch! How shallow is the water your in? Iv'e never heard of giggin' anything but frogs. Sounds like fun.
    Linz

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i usually try to stay 2.5 ft. up to 6". i havent been in a couple weeks, ya know... deer season an all. it is a lotta fun. but i prolly wont get a chance to go again untill christmas, and by then all the good ones will most likely be back in the gulf for winter.

17. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the tips. still trying to learn how to red fish. i have heard of people fishing for the reds with shrimp on the bottom. thought i might give this a try.
    just want to make sure i have a good grasp on what i am doing before i head out.

18. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    here are a couple of basic methods to help get you started.

if you fish shrimp on the bottom, use 3/4 ounce wieght and let the tide/current do its thing. i like to target the edge of channels and cuts that move out through the flats. maybe going from 3-5 ft to 10-15 ft.

popping corks work good too. the idea being that you retrieve the cork kinda like a surface plug for bass. it sorta slaps the water and attracts the fish. i usually do that in 6-3 ft. of water. or on the flats.

a good gold colored spoon will work wonders through the grass beds.

any grub, cocahoe minnow, or shrimp immitation soft plastic lure will catch them by bumping the bottom on a jig head. i like D.O.A.'s and berkley gulps. on about a 1/4 ounce jig head. stick to the basic colors--white-tuxedo-smoke-chartruese-rootbeer-maybe electric chicken. white and rootbeer are my fav.s..... i like fishing jigs around mid depth structure, say anywhere from 4-12 ft. deep.

moving water is key with redfish. north side of the bay hit the falling tide.
    south end hit rising tide. i like to fish the flats up here when the water is falling because the shrimp, crabs, and minnows are being sucked out of the grass, and oysters into the small channels, and the reds will really stack up.

on the south end, i like to catch a rising tide around the end of piers, warfs, and some of the small inshore reefs.

allways remember! for redfish action you will never forget, follow the birds. when the gulls start grouping up and diving, your in the $.

p.m. me when your headed this way and i will try to get you a good fishing report, or go out with ya. either way. best of luck to you bro.

19. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks,
    i will let you know when we are heading down your way.