Stuck buckets

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jholl949, Aug 19, 2006.

1. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I have two five gallon buckets that were put together and now I can't get them apart. I driled holes in the bottom one thinking it was airlocked....no help. My 250# son and I got into a tugging match with them and they didn't budge.
    Any ideas how to get these buckets to separate so I can have two instead of one?

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Try using a torch to warm them up, just don't get them too hot. LOL

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Have your son hold the handle of the top one, then work your way around it tapping around the top of the bottom one with a hammer, you may have to make several trips around it, but mine always come apart this way. Good luck.

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    If you have a air hose and a bit for it you can shoot air into the relief hole you drilled and the pressure should loosen it.

If you did more than one relief hole, you got yourself a mess.

Another possibility is to put dish soap along the seams of the 2 buckets and get em wet with the hose, let them sit for a few then pull apart.

Another method is a shotgun

You can also employ a team of mules and a series of chains in opposing directions.

Have you tried dubya-dee-forty?

Give it to a college student and tell them there is a beer in the bottom one.

:smile2:

Good luck

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea go out and get two more LOL! just take the top bucket. bounce it up and down in the air with weight in the top bucket and then pull. works for me!

6. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    There is no job big or small that can't benefet from the proper application of explosives.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    # 1 give them to a 3 to 5 year old to play with.#2 is to lay them on their side in the back of a Wagon or Pickup Truck with a shell where the buckets will not blow out.Drive and put up with the noise of the loose buckets rattling around.They usually come apart after 5 minutes or 5 weeks,but normally they will come.This works for knotted chain,from large to small including jewelry.Small chain has to be put in something so that it will not go through the Wagon or pickup tailgate crack.I often used a washtub.You do not want to use anything that will cushion the vibration and bouncing.I say wagon,as I first learned this from a old gentleman who still used his mule and wagon.peewee-williams

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree.All problems can be solved.You just need the right tools.I have enjoyed my Dupont "Blasters Handbook" for over 40 years.It sure was nice when you could buy your dynamite from your local hardware store.It was and still is a great tool when used properly.I have never used it on a bucket though.I have shot a anvil with black powder on the 4th.of July.It has a sound all it,s own.I don;t know where you could find 2 anvils now,and you would most likely die in a federal prison for doing it now.How times have changed.peewee-williams

9. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    I would have to suggest throwing them out and getting two new ones. I dont have the patience to deal with a couple of stubborn buckets.lol

10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I carry 8 to 12-5 gal buckets in my truck for hauling feed, end up with some of them stuck all the time. I have a 2 X 2 about 18 inches long in the stake hole of my truck just for this. Hold the top bucket by the handle and hit the top of the bottom bucket with the 2 X 2 going around and around the top while your hitting it, usually works, if you use a hammer it busts the buckets up.

11. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    If you have a cutting torch and a hole in the bucket. Adjust torch to a norman neutral flame. Snuffit out on the bottom of your boot. Blow a little of the mixture into the hole. Relite the torch and hold it to the hole from arms length. The buckets will come apart. Be carefull doing this and don't get carried away. You might want to wear ear protection. For a little preview of what is going to happen run the mixture into a quart size ziplock bag and then close it. Light the torch and stick it to the bag from as far away as you can touch it. If you hurt yourself don't call me.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    WD-40...?
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    We occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry on as if nothing happened.

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    hot water.............

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I've seen guys do that with skoal cans before. Sure is loud.

st

15. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Thanks a lot for all the input! The hammer on the side of the top bucket worked like a charm.
    I'm so glad we have such knowledgeable members here on the best site on the WWW!