Structured Flathead Catfish For Those New!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 7, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatheads... There are, and have been, and will be many more more things learned in the pursuit of flathead catfish in the next few years to come. But, the one thing that never changes is how flatheads like to associate themselves to structure. Here are some basics to consider when looking for flatheads and where they might like to reside.....

1. You need to make sure the system you are gonna try holds the flathead species first!

2. Flatheads are a predative fish, they don't like to chase baits far so they often move to areas during feeding periods that might present an easy meal, such as below shallow riffles, or on a shallow flat after dark, off of deep water and like to setup from ambush points as well that give them an easy opportunity to get a good meal.

3. Ambush points flatheads like are usually associated with logjams, rockpiles, or any other current obstructing spots, that baitfish will pass by closely.

4. Flatheads try to position themselves in these places with their heads upstream, or in or around stuctures that allow them to move out quickly to feed on a passing bait.

5. I like to fish upstream of structured areas, allowing my baits to be fished back towards the head of the structure.

6. Structure areas don't have to be large to hold flatheads. Flatheads will stage even on one piece of structure if in the right area for them, which usually mainly consists of the right current break for them to rest, enough current flow to supply adequate oxygen levels for them in the hottest months, and an easy exit to a close by feeding area.

7. Rock piles are an often overlooked structure. Most people think of structure as logjams, or a submerged piece of timber. Rocks I think hold as big or bigger flatheads than the wooden structures.

8. Not all structure is visible, many of the best places are not exposed. Sunken timber spots or once again the rock humps can be very productive places to fish, and place your baits around.

9. The structure areas I like are either associated with a steep dropoff to deeper water around a hole, or associated directly below a riffle with a scour or eddy area usually along one bank or the other. Timber or rock layed in an eddy area just out of the current, or on the current seam can be a deadly place to catch flatheads.

10. Better structure areas, usually are on the river channel side of the river. Not always, but most of the time, these are good areas on outside bends and along the channel side to look for your structure and setup on the fish accordingly... goodluck..........rollo

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bout time Rollo:cool2: I think were gonna be on the water very soon and them Flatts gonna be hungy (LOL).....good post !:roll_eyes:

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Good post Rollo. The more I learn about the river section that I fish the more spots turn up when I scout. Can't wait to try some of them this year.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Location, Location, Location! :wink: Excellent class on flathead location basics. Reps.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great Post rollo. large rocks are one of my favorite structures.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I would like to agree with you, but my fellow Ohioan JACK has put forth claims that all you just said is CRAAP lol.

He says all you need to catch flatheads is a stinky bucket of cut-bait, some shallow sand flats, and a total lack of any structure.

He has a 55 pounder in his avatar.

What gives???????

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    excellent info Jason.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    jason good post rick

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I don't want to start no trouble here guys.
    It just seems that JACK catches more and bigger fish.
    I'm just a local guy doin his thing, and I need the best and most up-to-date methods to catch fish!

Who do I believe? The cut-bait guy or the structure and live-bait guy?

I'm really gettin dizzy here trying to keep them straight.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you outta try sleeping at night skip, maybe you wouldn't be soo dizzy:smile2: rollo

11. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Skip I would listen to Rollo we fish basically the same except he uses live bait and I use cut bait. However, I will normally always use live bat for flats but here where Im fishin I have learned to use cut skipjack for the main reason of it just bein easier but I would use live bait fishin for flats almost anywhere else. Sandbars are good for flats and you dont need structure there so Jack has probably got a good spot. I would take advice from both.

Rollo very good post alot of people over look eddies and rocks. I hear alot of people talk about scouting waters to look for good spots for flats. If you go down your river system when the water is low you can see flathead holes in the banks of the river. Mark the spots and when the water is higher you know see where the flats are at.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Rocks are one of the major structures in The Big Sandy river that I fish. What better place for a big flattie to lay while wait for a meal than below or beside a big rock in the river???:wink: On those bright sunny days they will shade under them as well.

13. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    First I would like to say thanks for the post. I feel it takes alot of time on the water to learn what your are requires to catch fish. Each part of a river and each river are a little different. All the above are good ideas and will work. I feel we need to get out of the box every once in a while and try some new things.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason's advice is dead on, listen to him and you will be putting alot of flatheads on the bank or boat!

Just remember once you learn to catch them, release them so you can catch them again!

I have a spot on a huge bend in the river where the state put alot of huge rocks to shore up the bank many years ago.

alot of these rocks fell into the river which made great flathead cover.

Unfortuntaly, lots of people fish it and keep all flatheads, and the fishery has declined big time in the past few years.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If Jack had a boat he would be fishing just the way jason does.:smile2:

And probably be catching alot more fish, I dont catch many fish in a season, just a few big ones.

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    well said Jack about releasing those fish. doesn't take long for people to wipe a spot out for a good while. those are the same people you will hear later complaining about the fishing being bad.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hopefully the river will settle soon, and we will get a good spring.. Last June we had way too much rain... I would like to see a well heated spring, with enough rain to maintain good water levels, but not flooding rains.... Am I asking for too much??? rollo

18. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You asking for too much? Hell no!:smile2::wink:

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well if you dont get winter in winter, you get winter in spring.

This year we got winter in winter, so I am also hoping on a very good spring, but I am sure it's to much to ask:sad2:

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    last season was all screwed up weather wise and i hope its better this season. hopefully mother nature gets all the goofy weather out of her system now and not later.