Structure - Where should I catfish when there isnt any fish structure?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by cumberlandcat, Apr 26, 2006.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The 20 mile stretch of river I usually fish has lack of structure. I mean it usually runs about 18 ft if I am lucky I can find 1ft depth change but it is just flat no log jams, lots of cliffs which go straight down. Should I be fishin banks, or should I just hit up another stretch of the river. Couldn't catch much of anything last year, i was out there tryin everything 3 or 4 nights a week.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Chris, those rock ledges can be exceptional during the prespawn and spawn periods. I would fish the ledges in the outside bends. Here they will be undercut at times and make great nesting sites for all cats. Vern

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Vern, even with no logs or depth change still hit those outside bends along the cliffs? You sayin to drop right against the wall?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I do good drifting my jugs along bluffs anywhere from almost right against the rock to about 10' out. I'd be looking for clay banks on the outside of bends, too. As you go up and down the river, keep a close eye on the surface of the water, looking for any type of disturbance or change in speed. Such a disturbance often marks structure; and an eddy is a place where a fish will rest while waiting for food to be swept by. Extra good spots seem to be where there is some slack water with swift water running right by it, creating a 'seam'.

5. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Chris here on the upper end of Lake of the Ozarks we have a similar situation. Its an old lake and years of having water released from the dam and high water in general has depleated a lot of what people think of as "structure". On closer examination though we do have some mud flats, small humps and stair step type ledges that are indeed structure. Structure is essentially an edge and a lot of things can be an edge including schools of bait fish like shad. Even a small current break can hold fish and dont always expect to see fish on the sonar on these small edges. The cone angle of most sonar units is not going to let you see fish all the time. The only way to find out if an edge holds fish is to fish it. Before I had a GPS I had a hard time relocating small mid lake edges I would find so I used marker bouys.Its sounds stupid but take a hard look at the water you fish in and "think like a fish". Large cats have to spend most of their time searching for food, particularly once the water warms and their metabolism skyrockets. I am of the belief that if I present them with an easy chance to eat their gonna eat. Just keep refining your idea of what "structure" is and you'll be successful. What is structure on one body of water may not be in another. See ya on the water!

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Chris, yes still hit the ledges on the outside bends. For two reasons, one is because blues love current especially in the warmer months. And two because even though it appears to be no type of depth change, there has had to be some rocks coming off of the ledges years ago that causes excellent structure for blues, they also like rocks. Vern

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Chris, I find it hard to believe that in a 20mi. stretch that there is no structure. What part of the Cumberland are you fishing and how are you looking for structure?