Structure Fishing for Channels?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by crazychuy, May 14, 2006.

1. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Guys and Gals,

What kind of structure should I look to fish for Channels if I'm fishing a lake for them? What time of year should I fish certain structure?

Thanks,

CHUY (pronounced "CHEWIE")

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well channels dont rely on structure as much as say a flathead.There of a more open water cat.They will hold up under rocky ledges and banks,slack water,rip rap those kinds of places.

3. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Back when I was a youngster and used to Scuba dive, I would find channels up under fall downs(trees) in creeks and small rivers. They would suspend just off the bottom during the day but could be enticed with some fresh cutbait placed close enough. Over the years I have found that Channels tend to relate to wood(much like Flatheads) and prefer a gravel bottom. Here on LOZ good Channel cat areas are pea gravel banks and current breaks. Under certain conditions in the summer shad will get on these pea gravel areas and you can't cast a shad net without dragging up a half dozen channel cats. Good luck with your fishing. See ya on the water!

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with Bigmagic, they seem to relate to the type of bottom more then the cover. Although I have caught many around logjams, docks, wing dams, and other man made rock formations. I've notices mostly that they tend to relate to areas that have gravel bottoms, and in other places muddy bottoms. I've never really found many in sandy bottom areas or areas that have a lot of silt.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    In lakes when I'm on the bank I cast out as far as I can and just sit and wait for the channels to find the bait. The lakes I fish on are not huge though. Small resivoirs around 100 acres and not horribly deep.

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In my lake, I think Channels are wanderers, I've caught them in every part of the lake, deep and shallow, hot water or cold. I think they are in muddy bottoms and gravel bottoms. It sometimes appear to me that they travel in pairs... I don't know how many times I've caught two channels about the same size and then got no more. The places I have never caught them is in clear shallow water... maybe its because of the boat.. I don't know.

7. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I find cats relate to structure similar to structure bass relate to. I have caught many a channel around logs and trees in the water, they hold to them for the same reasons bass do. I think most big channels stake out territory and stay in it unless something like flooding gets them to moving in new areas.

8. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    I think it's more important to find what depth they are at as opposed to cover. I start out shallow early in the morning but work my way around the lake to deeper and deeper depths if I'm not getting any strikes. If I don't get a bite within an hour at one spot, I move on.

Also, around here, we have many Blue Herrons. I watch to see if they are having any luck catching shad. If they aren't having much luck, I know the shad are deeper and that usually means the big cats are going to follow.
    I've learned to fish like a Herron. Ever see a Herron waste it's time in the same spot for too long if it's not having any luck? :big_smile:

9. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I'm looking at fishing a local pay pond that has structure but I'm looking at fishing it mostly at night. From 8pm-5am. Where should I be fishing. The structure of the pond is as follows: tree stumps, creek channel, sandy beach, and a spillway where water flows in from an aquaduct. The water temps here in California are high, most in the lower to mid 70's.

Thanks,

CHUY

10. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    I'd try the spillway first.

11. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I would fish the shoreline near cover. Your approach should be similar to Bass fishing. Bait up with some Chicken liver and toss it into areas that might hold a Bass if you were Bass fishin. I have filled Bushel Baskets with Channels from a boat using this method. Fishing from the Banks be careful not to spook the fish and look to fish the windblown side of the water your on.