Struck out on the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Went out on the Missouri just east of Kansas City today with my dad. My second trip ever on the river and his first. We fished nearly a dozen different spots from about 7:30 till 3:00 and ended up with just one hard hit to show for it.

Tried the end of wing dykes, found a humongous hole 35 ft deep behind a submerged and blown-out wing dyke, a few spots in the main river channel, and ended up by the KCP&L power plant where we got the one bite.

Used live whole shad, freshly cut live shad and live bluegills.

Saw very few fish on the sonar, even in the sorts of places where I think they should have been -- such as behind and in front of big humps in the water, at the bottom of the 30+ ft deep holes, etc. etc. - just nothing down there.

On the positive side, however, I'm now a lot more comfortable being out on the Missouri - it's not nearly as scary as I expected it to be. Boat control requires that you pay attention, especially when anchoring around wing dykes, etc. but otherwise it's not at all like the churning, boiling, whirlpool-laden water I expected.

Thanks to DougC for taking me out a week ago and showing me a few basics. I feel like I can get out there on my own now and have a chance at catching something. That is, provided "something" eventually shows up to catch...

So hopefully I'm not the only one having a slow time of it. Though if everyone else is catching plenth of fish, I'd be happy to attribute my lack of success to not really knowing what I'm doing...

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Everybody has bad days...

Don't be so hard on yourself, you know the basics, sometimes it pans out sometimes it don't.

There are a few on here that get really big cats. Most of them spend a whole lot of time fishing for that to happen. They have more bad nights then good even with the experience they do have.

Keep on with what you know and you will eventually be landing those bad boys yourself.

3. DorianGre

DorianGre New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have been striking out a lot lately too. Even my throw lines have still been baited in the morning. Now that is slow.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Keep trying the fishing is really starting to heat up here in NC hopefully it will for yall soon

5. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Marty, believe you me, you ain't the only one goin' through it. Keep your head up. Next outing for you and your dad could be magical. Best of luck next time out!!!

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Well Marty, you know you're not the only one! I may just start offering tours of the river since nothing seems to be biting. I may as well be working for the Conservation Dept. because lately I've just been sampling the baby Flathead population in the river. Caught a 15" last week, and caught a whopper of about 12" yesterday! Oh well I'm not giving up yet with all the time I've got invested. I know I've found some good spots, just no luck at the time.[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

7. CQuest

CQuest New Member

State:
    St.Peters, Missouri
    I ran some lines the weekend before the 4th and it was an unusual weekend.We baited Friday night with shad and checked our 1st line on our way back to the launch ramp and had a 5 lb. Flat. Saturday morning we had nothing on the lines, including most of our bait. Went back that afternoon to bait lines and had a 41 lb. Flat on a line in 16' of water at the tail end on a dike. Rebait Saturday night...nothing on the lines Sunday morning...came back that evening to rebait and one line had a 32 lb. blue and the next hook was a 10 lb. blue. We caught nothing at night but during the day. I believe the gars and turtles was working our lines also. I had a few broken hooks(8/0) and while releasing a big snapper, the hook broke and looked just like the other broken hooks that weekend. So, I guess the turtles were breaking the hooks? Something else I've noticed,whenever I catch a sturgen on the line, they are always hooked in the lower stomach.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well guys all I can say is! Hang in there, I havn't had one bite let alone catch anything. This time last year at least I got some eaters I can't even get eaters to hit. I don't know if it's because of so little rain or what,but do know I'd like to be able to catch some fish Last time I went I was using 3-4 inch goldfish and nothing-------------!:confused2: pk powell

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I think I'm going Bass fishing this weekend. Went out on the river last night till 11:00. With the rain from the day before, there was so much debris going downriver it was hard to keep the lines clear. Couldn't tell if you were getting bites or not. Fished outside bends for a while, then moved onto some sand bars with wood cover and not a fish to show.