StronmThurmond Clarks Hill

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TrophyHunt, Jan 30, 2009.

1. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looking for people who fish Clarks Hill for Blues.

2. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    I grew up fishing the Mt Carmel, Little River and Long Cane areas of Clarks Hill. In 30 years of Jug Fishing, Trotlines, Baskets, rod and reel fishing I bet I havent seen 5 Blues come out of that lake. However it is the best lake around for large Flat Heads. Back before I discovered drift fishing for cats all I ever did was jugging Little River and Long Cane. Every Spring we could fill up the freezer with enough channel cats for the whole year in just 2 or 3 night trips. We release the Flat Heads back in the lake always now because thier just isnt as many as it used to be. 10 years ago it was very common to catch 4 or 5 Flat heads in a night over 40lbs each with our best catch weighing in at 73lbs. In the last few years we were lucky to catch 1 or 2. My theory behind this is all the grabbing and scuba diving that goes on in the rivers and under boat ramps is killing the flat head population in Clarks Hill. I have personally witnessed truck beds filled to the rim with flat heads out of little river from grabbing and it makes me sick.

Maybe one day some of us can get together and learn some drifting on Clarks Hill because it is my absolute favorite lake around. We camp every spring at Baker Creek State Park in McCormick, SC during March/April. We Bass, Crappie and Catfish during this time because all of it is normally pretty good along Little River/Long Cane this time of year. However if we dont get some rain I wont get up into Long Cane this year.

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    They're there my man,,they're there.:wink:

4. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would like to find someone to take me fishing with them on Clarks Hill for blues. I have tried in the past and cannot figure them out at all. I have caught big blues from Santee to the Mississippi but only one out of Clarks Hill that weighed 13 lbs. I have even caught large blues in the Savanah river below Clarks Hill. I know they are in there and I just wonder what I am doing wrong.

5. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If you guys can PM me with some contact information. Thanks