Strong enough motor?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by weathermantrey, Apr 11, 2006.

1. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I'm looking at getting a new motor for my 24ft pontoon, the best deal i've found is a 2005 50hp Etec. Do yall guys think a 50hp motor will be enough to push my 24ft pontoon? I'm not planning on skiing behind it or anything, I just need something that'll get me from A to B.

2. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    That should be plenty of motor. We had an 18' steel pontoon boat with a 35 on it and it would get the job done. You won't set the water on fire but you should have plenty of engine.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I had a setup like that and got rid of it. If you don't care about speed, it is definitely strong enough, but if you're a speed freak like me you need more. I have a 28 footer w/ a 90hp and it probably pushes 30.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Trey,will it get you from point A to point B yes it will.Will you want to get from point A to point B FASTER ?Yes you will.:cool: So if you can shop around and try and get a 75 or so.That will push you along better with less strain on the motor rather than running at WOT all the time.That is one point we all forget.A 50 at WOT all the time is going to wear out a lot faster than a 100 cruising at mid range and the 100 will be in its most fuel conservative range also_Of course if you run WOT all the time regardless of engine size then all bets are off.I have a 200 Optimax that will push my 21ft center console at 55 if I need to go that fast.98% of the time I'm at 30 which is at 3300rpm or so and barely sipping at the fuel tank,I'm getting there fast enough,my Lowrance is reading the bottom perfectly,and I have time to enjoy the view.:) ;) :rolleyes:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What ever you decide on you will have to prop it for that toon. Its not like propping for a flat bottom or a bass boat

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a 24' toon with a 55hp Evinrude on it. It will push it about 15mph in calm water; that makes it seem a little slow going upstream on the river.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I would say that that size motor would be the absolute minimum to use for that size rig.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    What's the boat rated for? Will your transom hold a bigger heavier motor without cracking?

No matter what engine you get it'll have to be propped at a lower pitch.

I put a 70 on my 24' pontoon that had a 55. Needed to change the prop on the 70 that had a 17 pitch down to a 13 pitch just to get it to about 5400 rpms.

I can get near 30 out of it, but the boat's not built to go that fast. Way too much stress on all the welds.

Those who over power their pontoons will pay for it in repairs down the road.

There's nothing wrong in getting the 50 e-tech, just don't be in a hurry and be sure to get a tach with it in order to prop it right,

9. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    I found a better deal on a 60hp etech. I think that's the one i'm gonna go with. I found a 70hp johnson 4 stroke for 6,000 bucks, but my dad won't let me get a 4 stroke for some reason. I got a 13x19 pitch here at the house that i was hopeing will work. If not, i'll just get another one. I'm gonna get the 2006 60hp etech and have it installed for 5,600 bucks. Do yall think that's a pretty good deal? I've called around several place and that's the best deal I could find.. i could only talk the guy down 100 bucks. Apparently these e tech's aren't very hard to sell. I called one guy and he said 5,800 bucks and i told him I could get one for 5,600 and he said, then go get it.

10. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have a 24 foot pontoon. I bought it with no furniture--just a captain's chair and steering/instrument console, therefore it is light compared to many pontoons of the same length. I was going to put a 40 HP on it but the salesman recommended a bigger motor even though he knew that I would not buy it from him. Before I bought a motor, I called the factory and talked to an engineer. He told me that even though the boat was rated for a 100 HP, anything over 70-75 HP was a waste of money unless I would be carrying a heavy load. He said the hull design limited the speed to 27-28 mph. If I carried heavy loads, a motor larger than 75 HP would allow me to carry it faster than the 75 would carry it--but still not more than 27-28 mph. I found a slightly used 60 HP Mariner and it has worked very well. It carried my family and friends about 27-28 mph as the engineer said it would. I pulled my kids on knee boards and tubes. We had a lot of fun.

When I repower this pontoon, I plan to go with a four stroke in the 60-75 range. Four strokes are supposed to be more reliable and they are quieter. A lot of time on a pontoon, as we used it, is spent idling along. A quiet motor makes this more enjoyable. Also, if the motor on a pontoon won't start or breaks down, you can't paddle it very well. That is why have 2 trolling motors on mine.

11. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Same here with my toon. The only furniture is one small captains chair. I like to have a big open deck and be able to move things around. If my buddies go fishing with we just bring some fold out chairs so everybody can sit where they want to.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I called the factory and talked to an engineer. He told me that even though the boat was rated for a 100 HP, anything over 70-75 HP was a waste of money unless I would be carrying a heavy load. He said the hull design limited the speed to 27-28 mph.

I've been trying to tell people that for yrs. Now you see it coming from an engineer.

A guy I know put a 454 chevy on a pontoon, added a third pontoon and still could only get 63 mph out of it. Displacement hulls and their being side by side cannot go fast