Strong Current Rigs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ravensmavsfan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    What are the most used rigs by you guys when dealing with strong river currents, from 5ft to 30ft of water.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Carolina. I just change the size of the no roll sinker and adjust the reel for the weight so that each cast is not a nightmare. LOL!

3. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In very strong current I don't use a leader at all. I go with the biggest No-Roll to hold the bait in the current, slide on a bead to protect the knot and then snell my line directly to the hook. This is normally a high water prespawn technique when just about everything is flooded and there is current in just about all good spots and you know the fish are there and feeding.

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I use a slipsinker rig. First I slide on a sinker, either an egg or a no-roll (although I am thinking about getting some pyramid sinkers for this summer), I slide a bead on then, put a swivel (size varies depending on size of desired fish), I use a leader (again, length varies with conditions) and then a hook. For live baits I like to use 6/0 to 10/0 gamakatsu octopus hook (regular) and for any other dead baits I like to use 8/0 to 10/0 gamakatsu octopus circle hooks.

:0a26:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If anchored I use the Carolina rig.
    If I'm drift fishing and that is what I do most of the time. I start with 2 3 way swivels and 2 standard swivels, use( I use 2 leaders and hooks) a 12" leader with the standard swivel tied to the middle. Then to the 3 way. Then 24" between the 2 three ways. Then off the bottom three way I use 6 or 8 lb test line to the sinker. That way If I hang up its easy to break the sinker off.

If I'm drift fishing the lake. Or river with no current. I have the hooks right up to the main line. AS the fish will pick up the bait and start up . And with a long leader you will not hook as many as you will with a short or no leader.

Pete

6. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I have found that using a 3 sided pyramid sinker holds the bottom quite well. I take my main line through the eye of the sinker them tie on a barrel swivel. From the other end of the barrel I attach my leader and hook proportional to the size of my quarry.

7. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I use basically the same as Barbel,minus the bead.Biggest thing is a heavy enough sinker to hold the bait in the ciurrent.
    This rig werks very well and i am in pretty fast current,around 15-25mph,I'm talkin white water!

Only problem i experience is rocks,no matter what type of sinker,no roll,pryamids,bank sinkers,egg sinkers.....I always get hung up on a rock sooner or later.There are rocks all over where i fish and is my biggest challenge,other than that the slidin sinker rig serves me well.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Carolina rig works great with a big weight. But so does a long leader to a weight and a longleader off of a swivel from the top, both off of a single swivel. Kinda a two way off of a single swivel.

9. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    So most of you guys use a version of the carolina rig. Thats what I use for most situations and with most fish.

10. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i gotta go with ya man . that two way works well in current.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your bankfishing let out extra line to make a big curve from your rod to your rig. i found that this helps hold your rig/bait in the current much better. the current will keep your line tight so you can detect bites. a no-roll or a pyramid sinker will be your best bet in current.

12. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i am kinda new to cat fishing.....what weight sinker yall use to hold down the bait in strong current. today i tried fishing on bottom in a very strong out going tide, i dont think i ever got to bottom. i was using a ambu 5000 with a all star rod with two ounce sinkersand like i said, id cast, then watch my line pass me by.....thanks charlie r