STROKE (STR)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tofish, Jan 11, 2008.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    got this in e-mail from my daughter and figured it was definetly worth sharing.
    if i'd know this, i might of saved my friend i grew up with!
    gary

My nurse friend sent this and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree.
    If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously..

Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
    During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call
    paramedics) .....she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at
    6:00 pmIngrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps In grid would be with us today. Some don't die.... they end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.
    It only takes a minute to read this...
    A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
    Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke
    Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *
    Ask the individual to SMILE.
    T *
    Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
    (i.e. It is sunny out today)

R *
    Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH
    ARMS.
    If he or she has trouble withANY ONE of these tasks, call 999/911immediatelyand describe thesymptoms to the dispatcher.New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue ;

NOTE: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other,that is also an indication of a stroke.
    A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I appreciate anybody who has enough compassion as you obviously do to spread this message. Life can be and is so short we need all the help and medical information we can get. I will do my best to keep these simple steps in mind! I thank you very much for caring enough to post this valuable information. Reps to you Sir!:big_smile_2::big_smile_2:

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    to give you reps for the stroke information and it says I have to spread it around first. But thanks again for a job well done! Many pats on the back Sir!!:big_smile_2:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks It is a good thing

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Been their, done stroke part, good advice, I spent two hours in emergency room, doctors trying to figure out what was the matter with me. thanks to one their. they got something done, have some nerve damage, but can walk and talk, and so on.pretty much normal.
    recovery, positive attitude, therapy, (prayer) and a bunch of good friends on the BOC pulling for you. with good support and catching a big cat or two, Does wonders,.
    Jim

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good post and good info Gary, thanks for posting.

7. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    This is good need to know info. thank you.