Stripers

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bigblaze, Dec 14, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I got the new in fisherman magazine this week.

There is an article about east coast stripers and how now is the time of year to catch big coastal stripers....

just wandering if anybody can provide any info for coastal stripers:big_smile:

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    they are catching them on outer banks from what some have told me . im me i send you info for it.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i been thinking about hiring a guide boat out of the oregon inlet for several years now and just havent done it. i have some friends that went and they said it was a blast. from what i take of it, you have to stay within so many miles of the shoreline. i think its 3 miles but not sure. something about federal waters out past that. everyone ive talked to thats been said it was great and 20-30lbs are common and some 40-60lbs get caught. from the reports i see from down there the numbers of fish get caught this time of year but the bigger fish show up better in jan/feb/early march. also they said half day trips are all you want to catch. never seen a day like that myself. i likes to catch em.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    They are catching 40-50lbers at the cape lookout shoals right now. Going in the morning.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There were at least 3 over 40" caught two days ago off the beach from the Outer Banks.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    how about techniques or baits...thanks

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the guys im referring to was trolling with big jigs/bucktails. i have a friend up at the chespeak bay sp? bay today and she said they caught a 50lber yesterday.

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    most guys are fishing with live eels near the bridges and running large bucktail jigs for them. otherwise they throw large cut bait or spoons to them from beach. . red drum tackle is the place to get info and suff for this . hope it helps.

9. going_crazy46

going_crazy46 New Member

State:
    Pennasylvania
    Man i would like to get into some nice stripers. Havent caught any in a couple years

10. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    The great thing about stripers this time of year is they're right off the shorline. You can find them next to jetties, beaches, bridges, and piers. And you dont need a boat to get em. Try and throw a live shrimp or small crab near these areas. Also try buck tails and inline spinners or spoons, all work well but the live bait is best.

11. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I just read this post on another site (offshore fishing) and thought you might be interested. He went on to say that the trip was great and they had their limit and was done in a hour. Sounds like some good fishing to me. Ive fished the winter run on the outer banks a few years ago and the fish are big. 20, 30 and 40lb fish are not uncommon, most of the fish we caught were over 20lbs. Hope this helps. Also try www.piratescovefishing.com they have some great charter boats there that will do full and half day trips.

I did the $300 striper trip with salty hooker sporting out of rudee it was awesome.[/B]
    Contact Capt Jake he is ready to go.

757-618-7460

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Got out there Saturday Morning and fishing untill we had to catch the last ferry out at 4pm. Didn't catch any stipers, though. We did catch plenty of spiny and smooth doggies, a couple of clear nose and one black drum that went about 3lbs. Reports were that one striper was hooked and lost, and one 40" fish was caught off the south point, but no others. They are catching a few, but there definately aren't a ton of them out there yet. Still a heck of a lot of fun if you've got some smaller gear to mess with them doggies with.

13. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you guys fish on point or what. was thinking of going next friday and comeing home sunday morning.

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We fished central island and south point...I don't know if the fishing will be too good unless it cools off again.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I went to the cape lookout shoals on sunday and it was 75 degrees. All the fish were deep and didn't want to bite. I think they will start biting again when the temps go back down. There is a small craft advisory for the next couple days so I'm hoping it will stir up the fish enough to bite again.

16. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    The stripers are biting in Greenville, NC!!! Put in at Port Terminal in Greenville the other day and went out with my buddy and his dad and ended up catching 3 stripers. All on cut gizzard shad. 15lb, 8lb, and 6lb. Never thought we would be catching stripers this early in the Tar river of all places. We are camping out tonight with 2 coolers full of fresh gizzard shad. Should have a good report soon.

17. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like fun!!! The only striper I've ever caught came out of the Pamlico, it was about 13" long.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Can you imagine how much catfish bait you could cut off a 40 pound striper? :big_smile:

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you wouldnt do that now would you? i guess if the taxidermist gave the meat back it would be okay.:big_smile:

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Nah, not a striper that big. But you can bet that a 3-5 pounder out of Norman or Wateree will be getting the knife for catfish bait!!!