Stripers in lake Wylie?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cckessin, Sep 11, 2005.

1. cckessin

cckessin New Member

State:
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Fellas are there any stripers in lake Wylie? I was wanting to try and fish for them this fall at Norman and Mountain island, but wondered if there are any in Wylie. I live on the lake and would like to try it first before dragging my boat to MI or Norman. oh I read the post about whether or not there are any flatheads in Wylie and i can tell you that they are. I caught 4 last year all of them in the 3 to 5lb range. I have heard some people on this site say that they have caught a few larger flatheads in Wylie up the little catawba arm of the lake. If I remember correctly on may have weighed around 30lbs. If any one has any info on either subject holler at me.Thanks for you help

2. rango

rango New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yes, theres some striper in wylie, but not enough to make it worth your time fishing for em. we catch a small one occasionally trolling for crappie, and last winter we caught a 19 incher in catawba creek nightstalking.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Rango glad to see you here again buddy.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    you can catch 'em pretty well right below the Mt Island Dam near Mt Holly. Used to be awesome for white bass too but I think the white perch have about done away with the white bass. It is a good area for striper in Wylie but they don't get real big--10-12 pounds is big there

5. cckessin

cckessin New Member

State:
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Fellas' thanks for your help. I was fishing the little catawba arm on Monday evening drifting for cats and noticed a lot of larger fish schooling on top of the water in the deeper part of the river channel. My fish finder showed a school of baitfish and larger ones around it. I got a glimpse of a couple of the fish as they hit the top of the water. They looked fairly large and white colored, which made me think they may be stripers. I was bouncing cut shad off the bottom along that channel looking for cats. I started free lining whole shad from the back of the boat while I drifted down the channel. I noticed that I caught quite a few good sized channels on the bottom in that area. I thought that they may be following what ever kind of fish that were hitting the school on the top. I didn't catch anything on the freelined shad, but I did get a few hits though. I believe the reason I didn't catch anything on the two freelines was the hooks i was using. I was using the circles that I use for cats. I talked to the owner of byrums store and he told me that I should use small treble hooks on the freelines next time. I am trying to decide when would be a good time to go to MI or Norman to try for some Blues and Stripers. Fishing has been pretty slow this summer on Wylie. haven't had much luck in the heat.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Wylie is still dominated by channel cats BUT blue cats are taking hold. Mt Island and Norman are real good bets for Blue cats. The bite at MI is one that takes getting used too. One day you can slay the Blues and the next day it leaves you wondering what happened to all the fish. Norman is real consistent for small Blues 4-10 pounds in the creeks but again the water is so big and deep there it may take a while to get them dialed in. Lake Wylie will offer awesome channel cat fishing soon when the chill gets in the air they will move big time into the creeks to gorge on the threads and it is fun to catch 'em drifting right up to the first real cold weather of winter.

7. rango

rango New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks riverrat. i dont get over this way very often. you know me and my crappie fishing.... :)

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    MUD, Interesting that you say the white perch have done away with the white bass because that is exactly what a guide told me about Santee.I would have thought those lakes would have monster white bass in them but had never seen any.Evidently the white perch displace the bass but I can't figure out why.RANGO good to see you again buddy.Come down to Santee some time and school me on the crappie.I love to eat those fish and I know you are the master of catching them.

9. FastenalFishing

FastenalFishing New Member

State:
    Boiling Springs, S.C.
    I have often seen fish rolling off the banks in deeper water and always wondered if it was stripes. Seems like you would slip up and catch some every now and then.

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Jim

I have heard a couple diff things about the white perch. First I heard it was an intentional stocking by DNR. Then, someone told me that was incorrect, that people had introduced the fish unintentionally when they let loose their bait into lakes following fishing the Yadkin/Pee Dee system. I know this for a fact, White bass used to school on top and you never see that anymore. It is said that the perch eat the White Bass fry and could be a threat to the crappie. I don't know. I know Wateree Lake crappie have been down a couple years now and the perch are everywhere in that lake today. Some people want to blame the cats too. I have heard them referred to as hydrilla with gills, they are that prolific. They are excellent bait for Blue, Channel and Flatheads. I guess you got to take the good with the bad.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Like others have said, very few stripers. I have been waiting to catch one while drifting for cats, but so far only a Largemouth has been the odd catch.

Like the other guys said, it seems most of the stories of them have been caught in the extreme upper end near the Mountain Island dam. If you head up, be careful. Lots of hidden rocks right below the surface.

12. rango

rango New Member

State:
    south carolina
    good to see you to jim. been awhile since we talked. i check the board occasionally to see whats happening at wylie. good fising to you.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You to!!! Let me know if you are going to be down to Santee any time soon and we will fish together.Crappie should be getting good this time of year and Santee has had 3 great spawning years since the water came up in 2002.Should be some fine fish available

14. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    jim i fish behind wateree dam when i am at my in-laws visiting, you use to catch a few white bass there in the spring when the stripers are up there spawning out of santee. but now to are lucky to catch one i think the perch are eating the eggs as they float down river, not sure though. i saw acouple this yr caught in the 1 to 2 lb. range. you can always catch perch there though. i stop by there and catch a bait tank full some times when i head down to santee.