Stripers/ Hybrids from the bank.

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Catfish_Scooter, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Does anyone know where I can get into some rockfish and hybrids from the bank? Also what to use. I would enjoy getting a couple 10-20 lbers.:smile2::wink:

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I see them catch them at Pickwick regularly at certain times of the year.

3. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Go to Cordell Hull Dam in Cartage, Tn. That is where I caught mine. Both from the bank.

4. festus

festus New Member

AJ, I always fish at either Melton Hill Dam or Ft. Loudoun Dam, that's probably too far and snakey for you, but I'd say the tailwaters of Cordell Hull Dam is as good or better than either of my spots. I don't use live bait for stripers, but it's probably the most effective. I use 1 oz to 3 oz hair jigs with a 4" to 6" twistertail trailer. The weight varies from which generators are turned on and the speed of the current. But I have actually caught more on the Storm Wild Eyed Shad swimbaits. You can get them any size from 2" to 9". I prefer the 3", 5", 6", and 9" sizes. The 3" to 5" size usually runs about 3 for $5. They are really hard to find here because they're in such high demand. Pearl is a good color, but then perch color, orange, yellow, red, and chartreuse are also good, especially when the water is stained. Just be patient, you'll get hung up a lot, so you need at least 17 lb. test to 30 lb. test. And when you hook one in swift water, get ready to do some chasing, because you'll think you have a whale. I can't remember how Cordell Hull Dam is set up, but at Melton Hill Dam there is a sidewalk. I usually cast into the boils, let the bait settle, then get a tight line and walk slowly down the sidewalk with my rod tip up reeling at a moderate pace. You'll be able to cover more ground and your bait won't get away from you and wash to the shore too soon. One more thing, when the dam is turned off and there's no current, I usually fish for catfish. But stripers will hit live bait when they're not generating. I even caught one on chicken livers a while back.

5. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Great post thanks man! Rep sent.:wink:

6. festus

festus New Member

A.J., I don't know how effective these lures are around Cordell Hull, but up here the 7" Cotton Cordell Redfin and the 2 oz Cordell Pencil Poppers are probably the most popular topwater baits.

For diving crankbaits, if you can still find Little Mac and Big Mac they are good, too, especially for trolling.

7. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Those look like appealing lures Festus thanks for sharing! Yeah my uncle said he used to catch them on a orange/green cordell trap like crazy when they were chasing bait. :smile2::wink:

8. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, they make a big 4" Rat-L-Trap that weighs and ounce that'll cast across the lake. I had one and lost it in some rocks at MH Dam this summer. :embarassed:

9. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    I bet it was a good one :embarassed:. Ill post one I was talking about in a bit.:wink:

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lead casting spoons 1 to 2 ounce I buy em for $.50 each 10 dollars I am good for a day. They cast like a rocket and work good in current the long skinny spoons work better with a pearl paint job and a bucktail end. I can toss these 75 to 90 yards with a 10 ft rod. ya bring em back steady or with short pumps maken em yo yo in the current. Just dont let em sink to far. One day the wife got 10 fish to the bank before I could ever get a cast out on lead spoons they work in natural lead color or spray paint em green or pear right there on the rocks where ya fish. 2 cans of 1 of floro green and pearl white will last all year. You can buy molds and pour your own to all ya need is the wire forms and hooks ya want. You can pour your first 100 2 ouncers to 3 ouncers for less than $100 and it gets cheaper over time cause all ya buyen is wire forms, hooks, lead, and spray paint. A cheap fly tien kit and a dozen deer tails form hunting friends can keep anyone in bucktail material for a year.

11. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I caught my first striper (been ruined ever since)below pickwick dam off of the catwalk.There we used a live shad on a carolina rig with either a 2-3 oz depending on the current. We liked the thread fin better because you cast them farther. Some people would let them sink to the bottom before they stopped letting line out and others would would not let as much out. Its a good way to fish if you don't mind crowds at times,hope this helps.

12. festus

festus New Member

Yes, Troy, those lead spoons are very similar to something we used to use years ago called the old "Bomber Slab Spoon" made of lead. Another good bait for stripers is the Little George tailspinnner. I can't find them anywhere bigger than 1/2 oz. Not sure if they make lead molds for these, but it would be a wise investment.

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do-it has several dif types of molds for lead spoons, blade baits, and lil georges I ant shure but I think I ran across some molds for lil georges goen from 1 to 4 ounces for salt water fishen.

14. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Below a tailrace would be the most consistant, in the spring when the shad move up on the mud flats to spawn the Hybrid and Stripers follow. There was a study done on one the east tenn. lakes with stripers people were blaming there poor fishing skills on the striper saying they were eating everything in the lake. This study proved that 85% of their diet was shad,yes I know that they alot of other types of fish but just remember 85% where you find the biat consistantly that mat be a good spot to try or not far from it. :roll_eyes:

15. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Have any of yall ever fished the lake part of old hickory thats might near the dam to see if any decent fish hang in those areas? Ive always been curious.

16. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    there ain't but one way to find out:006:

17. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah ive fished the part with the gravel and caught bream when I was little, but I was just seein how good yall have done.:wink:

18. festus

festus New Member

I didn't see any stripers caught in the Melton Hill Dam tailwaters today, but a friend and I caught a few nice eater channel cats. But I left at 3:00PM and the stripers could have turned on later. They generated all day, often the stripers and hybrids will turn on before dark. Had a friend told me he caught about a 17 stripers up to the upper 20 lb. mark on a Bomber Long A deep driving crankbait the other day before dark.

19. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    that's a great catch, I'm ready for my day out there.:006: