Stripers - How do you fish for them?

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    I fish in The Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia and ive never striper fished and i just wanted a few tips on catching stripers. THANX!!

2. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here on the mighty Mississippi the stripers realy start biting at the end of april. For bait i use a small jig with a twister tail grub, white works best i think.I have also caught some in the lake of the ozarks on a cotton cordell gay blade.

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    here there aint no good way to hook one unless you bait the brass pole. Sometimes you can get em on a mixed drink or if you have a big wad of singles on a circle hook.

Boy theyre good fighters. You'd think that being naked they would just give up quick but....

Oh wait.... You only had one "P" in the word Stripers....

Forget it.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive striper fished Lake Texoma alot. We would look for sand bars that showed fish on the sides if there was fish there we would put out 4 rods 2 with deep diveing redfins and 2 big sassy shad. Early in the morn as the sun is comeing up we would fish top water zara spooks near shore. if you see them schooling bait chunk some slabs the bigger ones are always under the smaller ones so if you can get past the small ones youll get some nicer ones.

5. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    make sure you have a decent pole but even more important a good reel with a nice smooth drag. i fish for stripers a decent amount in the ocean and they really fight like no freshwater fish i know besides maybe smallmouth. hopefully you can get into a good 20 or 30#!

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    like kickin wing said the little white grubs with a small jig head do the trick for me. something you might try is using minnows, i have never tried it but i think it would work.

7. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    not sure if were catchin stripers or wipers, but we catch them on rooster tails,whiter spinner baits, live shad hooked through the nose. im not sure but i think what were catchin is the hybrids. but thats what we catch them on. good luck.

8. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, i have also caught them on minnows it works just as good as the jigs. And another good thing to put on your jig is a Lucky Strike brand Swimin Minnow.Another thing is that even the big stripers seem to like the small jigs instead of the big jigs.I havent had as much luck with bigger jigs.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Accidently posted twice, read below post. :)

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    There are many way's to fish for Striper's. It all depend's on the condition's and whether or not you want to use a lure, or bait.

I catch a lot while catfishing with fresh cut-bait but a lot of Striper guy's use live bait, esspecialy live Shad. If in a boat you can use lure's and live bait on those planer board rigs, which I'm not familiar with at all. My favorite technique for using bait for them is to just use a slip bobber to suspend a live bait or if using dead bait and in current I just cast in little eddy's with a fresh piece of cut bait and a small weight. My favorite lure to use for Striper's is a White and Red bucktail with a plastic shad on it, throw it out, reel steadily doing smooth upward swoops with your rod, when they hit set the hook and start fighting him. When fishing at a dam for them, cast up into current breaks between the boil's.

If you're bottom fishing for them, like when you're fishing for cat's mostly then you can just use a basic Carolina rig with at least a 18 inch leader.

I personally love Striper's, they are no doubt one of my favorite fish....below the catfish of course....lol They are awesome fighters and if you get into a school of them you better be ready. They can get into a feeding frenzy and definitely keep you busy.

Good luck, Zakk.:)

11. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    you are absolutley right about keeping you busy katmaster ducain and i fish for them every time we go catfishin. we can catch as many of them we want while waiting on a flaty. we have caught as many as 60 or 70 in a couple hours. still waitin to hook a bigun. biggest yet is about 3 or 4#.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I love the rascals, most my dad and I have ever caught was around 30-40 in a day and all were around 3-4lb. But we have got a few big one's, here's my biggest........

http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=458&c=6&userid=2384

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    nice striper kat
    these were laready stated but my favorite to use is a minnow on a bare hook under a bobber and the swimin minnows in white color

14. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    On the Mississippi (on dams) the best place to cast is right into the current. It seems like that is were the big ones sit. I use a medium size jighead with a twister on it. Like Fat_fish55 said minnows work as well.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lotsa ways: big jighead with 6"-10" plastic tail; sinker at end of line with two or three droppers above with hooks & plastic curlytails; slow troll live shad just above trees on bottom of lake; wherever you can catch skipjack, catch a small (8"-12") skippie, put it on your striper rig, and drop it right back in the water; troll very large crankbaits; cast very large topwater lures.
    My favorite, but maybe not the most productive, is to watch for stripers that have run baitfish up to the surface, then cast a topwater llure so that I can retreive it across the edge of the baitfish ball. You definitely don't want to cast right into the middle, or you'll probably drive them back down; even retreiving through the middle can put them down. Retreiving along the edge often results in a smashing topwater strike, throwing water everywhere.

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have been burning the hybrid stripers up in the creek mouths on the Ohio and Kentucky Rivers. Just find a creek with the water a little clearer than the river and throw a no. 200 pearl white bandit crankbait, reel it as fast as you want, you cant outrun them. Most of them are small, but sometimes you will nail a good one. I have caught a couple of hundred over the last few days. Vern

17. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    In late april through end of may use top water crankbaits Rebel, Bomber and Rapalas work well in silver and black/ silver and blue. I believe the main food source in that lake for striper is gizzard shad, so get some and try them with slip sinker rigs and for varying depths use balloons. Good luck, it is a great place for landlocked stripers.

18. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I heard of some striper fisherman around here in Illinois that use what they call an umbrella rig. They take two, two foot pieces of wire and join them together like an X. Then they tie four one-two foot leaders to the ends of the wire with twister tails on them. To the middle of the X they tie a slightly longer leader with a different color twister tail on it. When the troll the rig, it looks like a school of baitfish with a straggler at the back. 90% of the time the stripers will hit the straggler. You have to check your local regulations though. In a lot of lakes here, you can't have more than two lures per pole.

19. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    i grew up fishing Leesville lake and Smith Mtn. Lake with my dad. he was a die hard striper fishermen but gave it up because so many people started overrunning his honey holes, they would actually follow him and then fish on top of him. he has caught probably close to 30 citation stripers mostly from Leesville and some from Smith Mtn. I believe the biggest was almost 50Lbs. He always trolled for them, put about 6 or 7 rods out and troll the points and river channels. Leesville used to be way better than Smith mtn. for stripers cuz of the current and cooler waters. I havnt fished for them in a long time cuz my dad gave it up but i am gonna start tryin again now that i have my own boat.

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Catching stripers today on the maurice river in N.J. hitting topwater plugs, silver and black. Water temp at the suface is 59 degrees.