Stripers/Catfish at Pleasant

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SilencedMajority, Apr 22, 2008.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Hello everyone! I haven't been on alot lately but am finally starting to be able to fish again. Went out this past Sunday on a buddy's new pontoon, day fishing, and thought we were set with live sunfish, anchovies, and lots of bass lures to catch SOMETHING.

Nothing all day, not even the faintest bite. I had heard that stripers were at least very easy to hook up to.

I want to know how you rig up anchovies. We have the double hooked-safety pin type hooks for them, sort of on a three way rig. With a one ouch weight hooked up to mainline end, then a 12" leader extending off the mainline about 24" up above the sinker, with a hook with half anchovie on the end of the leader. I have a Fish-n-Map of Pleasant and we have a fishfinder on the toon, so we would bottom fish the rigs either near the Castle Creek Channel or around submerged humps around the Castle Creek arm.

How do you fish for stripers at Pleasant, where, and in how deep of water?

We are also going for catfish (flathead or channel) during the day (its the only time we can go), so just slip rig cutbait, worms, or live sunfish off the bottom near submerged channels? Thought about a slip float rig as well.

Thanks to all that took the time to read this and give input.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Tony,
    Good to hear from you buddy.. Have you been to your spot on the salt lately?

* Pleasant~ Stripers are very abundant at Pleasant... When I fish for stripers here, I chum up the waters under my boat constantly with chovies.. Then drop baits directly below the boat at different depths.. Find the best depth and put all your rigs there..

** You can also drift for them by dropping minnows or chovies at various depths and let the wind push you around... I have had the best luck at Pleasant around the mouth of Castle creek... The best time is the night time.. If no moon, then use a light.. If you have a moon, use a lot of chum to keep them close...

* I use ultra light rigs with small circle hooks with 1/4 chunks of chovies or 1/8 chunks of chovies.. I will always have one heavier line out with a half or whole chovie out in hopes of a channel cat or a big striper..

~A

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Im gonna go out and try to catch some flatheads this weekend. Most likely fish the north side in the coves. Hope I dont end up fighting a bunch of drunks.

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Hey Andy! Thanks for the reply. I have not been to my spot since early March, when we discovered that the banks were completely re-worked with the recent high waters from winter rains. Will be getting back out there after this next Pleasant trip. This is a sort of a company fish tournament, one that I won last year with a sub-pound channel cat (ridiculous, I know) so I need to go defend my title again.

Sounds like a good plan to me, we were anchoring and bottom fishing three way rigs, something that didn't feel right to me. So you basically suspended a light tackle slip sinker rig at various depths in about 60ft of water?

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Tony,
    Pretty much... The stripers don't seem to be very picky about rigs.. You just got to try different depths...
    * Some people find them on their depth finder and know exactly what depth to fish... My depth finder only finds the depth, not the fish.. So I start at 20 feet, then try deeper and deeper.. Seems like the bigger ones are deeper. But I have yet to catch anything over a few pounds there. Lots of little ones if you chum and use smaller baits..