Stripers at the Gallatin Steamplant

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by john catfish young, Jan 18, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There have been alot of brothers ask me about catching stripers so I thought I would start a thread about something I have over 20 yrs. practice at. I started catching stripers at the Gallatin Steamplant in 1983. I fished at least 5 days a week during the months of october thru February every year until 1992. During this time period I caught over 50 large stripers and all were caught from the bank. This is not counting the stripers under 20 lbs. There were too many to count. These were stripers that weighed from 20- 50 lbs. Members of my family caught even some bigger ones. My Uncle Arthur caught a 58 lber in 1990. My personal best was 45 lbs. With one lost at the bank one night that would have went 60+. If your interested in catching one of these monsters... read on a little further. You will need 1 pole for catching skipjack and 1 or 2 poles for baiting up with live skipjacks and able to cast it out into the channel. I prefer a skipjack that is 12" long. I use a 3-way swivel with a 6 oz. sinker on a short sinker line about 1' long. I use a 3' hook line with at least a 7 hook or larger. You will need at least 20 or 30 lb test line. I arrive at 30 minutes before daylight and at first light am able to catch skipjacks. If you cast out and it doesn't go very far... leave it alone its in the right place. It doesn't take a very long cast at all. Most of mine have been caught with a 10 yrd cast. Do not keep reeling it in to check your bait it is fine. You should notice a slight bounce to the rod as this is your skipjack alive and well. Fish with confidence. Most of mine have been caught at night and it is the same way then. Arrive about 1-2 hours before dark so that you can catch good bait. If you catch big skipjack ,you can cut the heads off and fish with them. I probably caught more fish this way than I have with the live ones. I usually fished until about 10pm or even later if the moon was full. If you use spinning reels do not walk off from your rods...you will lose them. If you have baitcasters make sure they are on free spool with the clicker on. I moved away from Gallatin in 1992 but a friend of mine still fishes there and is still catching them now. I fish for stripers now at Cumberland city or Kentucky Dam and the methods are a little different here. As I throw mostly artificials now. Just too snaggy to fish the bottom from the bank. Good Luck to any who venture out and if you have any questions just ask :smile2:

2. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    do you have any advise for lake fishing from the bank?:smile2:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have heard that bank access might be shut down for now..... They have been known to do this from time to time... it should re-open soon. It is still accessible from boat though.:embarassed: