stripers at overholser

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by swampratt, May 28, 2009.

1. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    No kidding!!
    I have caught many different kinds of fish in this lake but was surprised when my neighbors came over and said they had a huge crappie,
    and i needed to weigh and filet it...
    I do not have a scale for fish but a calibrated arm ,,and a bunch of sharp knifes.
    I put it at 2.25 lbs and a striper,,,well he had a scale and it was 2.20lbs

He was fishing with minnows and cheap 8# test that would snap with the smallest yank...
    He said that they broke off 4 nice fish...This was 2 days ago and was in the evening, they were in a boat i gave them, in some brush anchored.:big_smile:

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The fish was a hybrid striped bass. The lake is regularly stocked with them and they used to average 5-6#'s until this years monsoons and most probably left to visit neighbors downstream. The fish is notorious for going with the flow of water out of a lake.:sad2:

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    No it was a striper ... positively id'd...no broken lines no big hunch back and a double toung patch in the middle of the toung..
    I too was surprised.

4. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Pictures?

5. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hmm I agree that! Some of you guys didnt know that there are Stripers at Canton lake and the North Canadian River at below Canton Dam going into Overholser lake. About a month ago at Canton lake they caught a Striper about 24 lbs, that guy thought it was a Hybrid but actually it was a Striper..

Three or four years ago, at the Oklahoma River just a few miles away from Overholser Dam, I caught a 3 lbs STRIPER, not Hybrid, it was a surprise because I didn't know there are any Stripers at Overholser or Oklahoma river.. I told everyone that it was a Striper and they didnt believe me, but i have a proof picture of mix Sand Bass, Hybrids, and a Striper that I caught at the Oklahoma River..

6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I will have to agree as well.. I've fished the same tailwaters below overholser and have caught what i thought were hybrids but actually turned out to be stripers.. I didnt think anything of it since they are not very abundant..

Several years ago stripers were stocked into canton lake where there are still a few in there.. the story about the 24lb striper in canton lake is on newsok.com