Stripers are legal as baitfish?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MichaelP, Jul 11, 2008.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Saw this in the fishing report.

2. dhilltop2000

dhilltop2000 New Member

State:
    New River, Arizona
    Technically, NO. Game fish cannot be used as bait unless they are deemed bait fish in the regs, ie sunfish, carp, shad some shiners etc. It is also officially illegal to use cut bait from game fish as you'd be wasting an edible portion from a game fish. I guess the "edible portion" could be up for interpretation but my understanding is cut bait from game fish is illegal.

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Maybe someone should tell the AZ game and fish as its on their website.

4. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Mike you saw that on the AZ Game & Fish web site?

5. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
  6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i wont use a fish for gait that i can consume other than small bluegills. just a waste if ya ask me. thats why most states have gamefish laws.

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    striper taste okay when cooked right but if i gut one or when fishing i put some crawdad traps out ill put a striper on the hook.....

fellet it and grind the guts + blood up and then put it in a zip lock bag over night in the frige.......GOOD CHANNEL BAIT :wink:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting thread. I had never really condidered it. I know in some states you can use any fish for bait as long as you caught it legal.

9. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Ok here the deal right now Game & Fish is scratching thier heads on this one as I called them out on the post they made. If you read the reg's this is clearly a violation. I talked to Rory Akeins today and it looks like they missed the small print. Stay tuned I will be receiving more calls from the Fisheries department with in the next week or two.I pointed out that we have many Bass fishermen that think it's ok to throw Striper's on the bank to die or gill cut them or gut cut them. this is just a waste of fish, but some think that only LM Bass should be in our lakes. Me personally I fish for Cat's, Crappie, Walleye and Bass of many kinds LM Bass, SM Bass, Striper and Whites and I would fish for Wiper's if we had them here in AZ. In my opinion you must be well rounded to call your self a fisherman and not only care about LM Bass or SM Bass. Just think if they are willing to do this to the Stripers what are they doing to the Catfish in OUR lakes?

10. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ive fished Lake pleasant for 25 years and I can tell you that without a shadow of a doubt the stripers have negatively impacted the fishing for other species. I remember before stripers, bluegill and catfish were practically a nuisance fish. Now, you dont really see to much of anything except rolling boils of 1 lb stripers eating up whats left of the shad. Does this mean you should kill them and throw them out? Naw, thats a waste, but you can bet I keep every one I catch. In my opinion, stripers should have never been introduced.

11. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Mike the Stripers come into the lake through the CAP canal which feeds the lake. We may not like it but they are there now, personally when I catch they I take them home and make fish taco's out of them. Plus if we take them home their are other people who will take the filets off of our hands as they may not be able to get out and fish.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I never realized that stripers were such a problem. Thanks for the info

13. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Stripers are the best fighting fish in the state at Mohave they get 60+ and will put and will pound for pound beat a flathead let alone them little 6 or 7 lb lg mouth bass. I'm originally from Oakland Ca. and if you have never had a large striper smoke your reel your missing something. Simular to Tuna long fast runs over and over. I believe they thought the stripers would not beable to breed and that they would be a harvestable fishery. I like it but know the love for trout and lg mouth bass folks have and can respect that. I will say you got it all wrong when you say they are not good eating, they are large flakey fillets with a very mild taste. A little flour lemon and dill and you got a great dinner plus the memory of a lifetime with one of the best fightin fish around.:wink:

14. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The problem is they dont seem to get that large as they compete for scarce resources. Seems like there are roving schools of one lb'ers with the very occasional big one.

15. dhilltop2000

dhilltop2000 New Member

State:
    New River, Arizona
    Personally, I love having stripers in Pleasant. We have so many bass lakes in Arizona it is nice having a change of pace. I can't count how many nights we loaded up the boat on 1lb - 3lb stripers and then the next morning cleaned up on top water. Admittedly anything over 6 to 7 lbs tastes kind of oily, the small ones make GREAT fried fish strips. Like anything, I like have choices... some good bass lakes, some stripers, some with monster cats...