Stripers and Catfish in the Delta1

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by Deltalover, May 1, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The fishing has been picking up in the delta! The water is still really high and many bank fishing spots are inacessable. Liver is the hot bait for both Cats and Stripers. A buddy landed a 8 pounder in the king island area! Paradise marina area is also producing nice cats and stripers on liver. I took my grandson Chris and his buddie Alex fishing over the weekend. Was first time fishing for Alex. We headed to one of my favorite holes. There were about a dozzen other people with same idea. We went on to the forebay which was also packed, but it's a big place and we found a spot. Chris hooked up with a 15 incher soon as we got there. I caught a couple just short of being keepers! Alex had a good time but kept getting imaginary bites (been there done that:roll_eyes: ) After a couple of hours, we headed back to my favorite spot. We were in luck, the last person was leaving. This is about 1pm. We got bite after bite on the liver. Chris couldnt get the hang of circle hooks. It's especially tricky when fishing for stripers! However the 0/6 Gamasku circle hook, with about a quarter tub of liver tied on with miricle thread, proved deadly for a nice 8 pounder, almost 28 inches! Not sure how long the battle was but it was pure joy on the 8 1/2 foot intercoastal ugly stick! My grandson did an excelent job of netting it. Alex who is in kindergarden, was just amazed and his eyes were big as saucers. Caught a few more shakers before the kids got bored. Went home Fileted the striper and cut in to chunks. Deb fryed in beerbatter and pinch of dill from the garden, served with wildrice, string beans and garden salad with avocado slices, tarter sauce and lemon. :smile2:
    Got a few pics!

Attached Files:

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Nothing like taking a kid fishing, only thing better is taking two kids fishing. Great story and pictures, thanks for sharing!

3. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I got a little 15" also last night, looks like you had a good time with the kids they'll grow up to love the sport like Pops does:big_smile_2:

I really enjoyed taking my girlfriends kids out the 7 year old girl was her first time and she jumped right on things putting her own worms and shad on the hook even, lots of fun just watching them fish.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey! nice silverside! And a nice group of kids.

5. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    good job plil man them kids are a blast to take fishen, see ur putting them fishen poll holders to use. just reading yesterday the stripers that were stocked into the river came from the delta, so im guessen the stripers you get up there are all natural fish

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Oh man, how could I forget to mention the great poleholders made by riverbud! It's really nice to know my rod is not going anywhere when in those holders! Thank You Dale! I will post some better pictures of them in tackle review section!

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good job Phil. Your post brough a smile to my face with the kids and the recipe. Good going.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great story Phil and ya got to eat also! LOL!

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Way-To-Go Buddy"! :big_smile:

I bet that the little ones had a ball! :006:

It's looks like I'll be seeing the Delta this week (5-5-06 or 5-6-06). :0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2:
    (Shaina)

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phillip,

I know those kids enjoyed that. That was a great time. I love to see kids fish.

Strippers are the fighting fish I've ever caught. The 7 lb hybrid I caught on crappie gear last week was the most fun fish of this old mans life. And great eating too! Wife liked it better than any fish.

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I could'nt believe the fight I had just with that 15"(yeah thats my biggest ever) I caught pretty darn impressive what a great game fish