Striper

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Where i fish i see several stripers or white bass working the surface so i know that they are in the area but the only one i caught was a 5inch one in a cast net. Does anyone have any tips for catching them? I fish from the shore and would like to try it while the catfishing is slow.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, well here's how I catch them here in North carolina. Mostly Stripers though not white bass:

When you see them feeding on top you can usually just get a Bucktail jig, or topwater plug, and throw it into the little "Feeding Frenzy". I usually use a White and Red Bucktail Jig, seems to be the best lure for stripers. Usually when they are feeding on top like that they are feeding on shad or herring.
    You can also use Live Shad under a slip Bobber and that will work awesome!
    When you use a Bucktail make sure to make it look like the bucktail is a injured fish. Make smooth, moderately fast, upward swoops, with your rod (while reeling slowly) Stripers and White Bass will both hit a bucktail jig.
    Also make sure to try to cast a little past the "Feeding Frenzy" and then make your Jig come threw the Feeding Frenzy on your retrieve, Dont just cast right on top of the feeding frenzy.

It can diffently be a blast! Striper's are diffently one of my favorite fish! Catch them all year long, even in the middle of the winter.

Good luck, Have fun, Take it easy, Zakk :)

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    What I love bout strippers is they will hit while you fishing for cats. I catch a lot of nice stripes on liver. Yep....LIVER! I fish with shad, liver, crawlers and like Kat Jr. said...Top water plugs are good also when they are boiling.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When stripers or white bass are hitting on top, you can catch them on topwater lures; and one topwater strike beats three underwater strikes for excitement. Cotton Cordell makes some nice topwater striper lures; take a look at them and you'll have a good idea of the type lures you want. Now, for white bass, attach a 6" length of piano wire to the back of one of the striper plugs, then attach a small white popping bug to the piano wire with a 4" length of mono. The longer length of wire will keep the mono from tangling up in the striper lure's hooks. This rig will allow you to cast a country mile, even with a casting reel, yet have a 2"-3" popping bug out there for the whites.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh yeah, they will diffently hit Livers and stuff like that while your catfishing.
    but if you want to spefically target them then the best real bait would be Shad or Herring. Live bream and crappie work great too.

Take it easy, Zakk :)

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    When there is a feeding frenzy, I have had way more luck fishing the edge! I have thrown into the middle and it seems to scare what the stripers were chasing and the stripers follow. A wounded bait off to the edge seems get there attention and say's "eat me"!

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    When they are feeding on top is a great time to go after them. We have had quite a bit of luck on the White Bass (sand bass or sandies in Oklahoma) by thowing out a lure called a Torpedo. Basically, it is a top water lure that has a propeller on the back that splashes and makes noise on the surface to imitate shad surfacing. Also, you can place a couple of very light jig's about 8 - 10 inches in front of the lure and once you get a hit on the lure, keep reeling in the same as you were as another fish will hit the jig thinking that it's taking it from the fish you already caught. Brining in 2 - 3 fish with one cast is awesome!

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When they are firiing I throw a top popper past and crank in. In the frenze I will get one. They are fun to catch. I have also got them trolling this fall at about 9' down.
    Bill

9. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    When their on top like that I like to throw big Zara Spooks or CC Red Fins. Iv'e caught hem while catfishing on both cut and live bait, good bonus.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Zara spook is what I try to cast when they are hitting the top!

11. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish by the damn. You can catch them anywhere around there, but the big ones are right in the current. By big i mean 3-6 pounders. I use a jig-head with a mister twister or something like that.

12. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i like using the super shad rap in shad color for top water stripers caught my biggest on one of them 33 lb strip

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have seen some bigguns caught upper 30 pound range on live shad, bluegill and smaller skipjack at cumberland city( the steam plant). I need to get back down their and try out some of my new lures.

14. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I catch most of my strippers with 5 dollar bills. The key is to fold it length wise with the 5 showing. And remember release all strippers over 135 lbs.:rolleyes:

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mark: count me in on the striper fishing, Let's get em.

Danny

16. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Sorry, I thought you said strippers:0a5: . I was about to book travel to your lake for a view.

17. fisherdude

fisherdude New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Striper purists think that you need shad for stripers. However, I have caught a lot of stripers on bass minnows. Bass minnows will work for both stripers and catfish rigged the same way. I'm sure a live shad or skipjack would work for either as well. However, catching them on a topwater plug is really cool!

18. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Unfortuntley we don't have any stripers or wipers around here, just white bass. I love to catch em though. I haven't come across any feeding on the surface, but I always catch em when I'm catting using live shad on the bottom. I also catch a lot of young whites when I'm fishing for crappie. They put up quite a fight on that ultralite gear.

19. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I catch most of my sripers and white bass on twister tail grubs. I usually use the four inch ones with a heavy head and a white grub, sometimes green or yellow. If you are in an area and see them feeding and you are having trouble catching them, look for any gravelly or real sandy spots close by to cast around. Both stripers and white bass love gravel. Usually with both species when there is one there are hundreds. Vern

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Here is a technique I have used very successfully not only on stripers,wipers,whites but also on largemouth and smallmouth when they surface school.Use a Kastmaster spoon of the appropriate size,check what the fish are feeding on and "match the hatch" Cast the spoon beyond the school then start reeling just before the spoon hits the surface.Keep reeling it fast so it stays right on the surface and bring it back through the school.This spoon wobbles side to side in a perfect imitation of shad swimming just under the surface.I use high speed spinning reels and hold the rod tip high to help keep it on top.If it gets through a school of anything I will be surprised.I have caught ,largemouth ,smallmouth, stripers, wipers and whites from the same school on Percy Priest reservoir in Tenn,when those fish school in the fall.You should stay as far from the schools as possible to avoid spooking them and the new braids really increase casting distance to facilitate that.:)