Striper Red Meat Bait or trash?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Jul 6, 2009.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    the last day I was fishing for striper's I was told that the red meat off a striper is good catfish bait. Wish I would of thought of that on the 1st day there, I'd have a gal. zip lock of the stuff. The way it is I got around 2 lbs. think I'll give a try this week.
    Has any one ever saved it for bait and how did it do?
    :0a28:

I'll let you know how it does.​

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jay make sure first off that using a game fish for bait is legal in your state!!!

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    All of the meat on the striper is good bait maybe minus the tail. Cat's are not real particular when it comes to the bait an the smell/scent.

4. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks I hadn't thought about that. Taken legal in another state. got the white meat in the freezer and even got pictures of the fish and fishing trip I got it from. Can even give em a web site with a picture of me and the fish.
    guess I had better call my local agency and see what they say.
    Thanks again for the heads up. Not sure were my head was. Guess I just figured better bait than trashed.

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I live at linn valley Lake and they have it posted to dipose of all the wipers caught. Is this legal for bait? At Sugar valley lakes the want you to dipose of bass under 10" or did. Can these fish wanted killed be used for bait in Kansas? Again, Guess a need to call kansas.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Dont know Kansas reg's..but i do know red-striper meat is used a bunch on Lake Texoma for cats:wink: It is legal in Ok. long as ya catch it on rod & reel you can use it for bait.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i remember someone on here saying any legally caught fish could be used in kansas, but it would be better to check your regs. the red meat does work for cats, it just isn't legal to do so in tx. again, check those regs in ks and good luck to you!

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    During the hot summer when I can't get skipjack or will just not make the trip to the dam to get any. That is great bait, just like the red fat streak off blues and channels. I have had days they hit it over fresh skipjack.
    I keep it, just put it in a zip lock bag and freeze it.
    Pete

9. dieselman

dieselman New Member

State:
    texas
    i personally like to leave the red meat in my stripers, yes it is very fishy tasting, but i like it. i could see how it would make good cut bait

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I dont get it....why waste good meat? Maybe you guys are catching different stripers than we do in the chesapeake bay? I've never known any one part of it to be any more fishy than another. :confused2:

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the way I understood it that the red meat was were most of the waters polution like the mercury built up in a fish. I have cleaned and cooked fish without removing the red meat off and the taste ruinins it all for me . I'm a must remove all red from my stripes and spoons and all the brownist/red from all catfish as well.
    I think if you clean one out and leave it on one half keep it separet from the other half fry them both up and taste test. I would be willing to be you to will always remove the red meat out.:wink:

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Are you talking about Wipers or White Perch?, I've never heard of anyone disposing of Wipers. Wipers are a hybrid that supposedly wont reproduce on their own. White Perch are an invasive species, and illegal to use as live bait or transport anywhere.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Striper meat may be excellent bait for catfish, but make sure it's legal to use it in your state; it's NOT legal in Arkansas.