Striper Question

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by festus, Dec 3, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I didn't start striper fishing until late last spring, and I still don't put a lot of time in. Usually I fish for crappie and catfish. However, when I go to this particular dam, I'll throw big jigs and swimbaits for an hour or so. In the past I have caught stripers occasionally by accident in this medium size creek downstream from the dam, but they were always caught on live bluegill, shiners, chicken liver, gobs of nightcrawlers, shad guts, or cut shad. I never weighed or measured any of the fish caught out of this creek, but I imagine some were over 20 pounds.

A couple weeks ago I hooked a couple of fish I assumed were stripers. This was in swift current during heavy generation. It's really hard to tell how big one of these fish are because of the swift current. After hookup, they would run downstream and then completely stop. I could feel them and am positive they weren't hung in a rock, but it would become a tug of war, they'd pull, I'd pull back. I was using 20 lb. test mono, and could hear the line sing, but they weren't taking line. Twice this happened that morning, and I think they may have been caught in some old fishing line or an old cast net.

Does a big striper ever get stubborn and just lay down and the bottom? Or do you think I was hung in some line? Once I got frustrated and gave up, pointed my rod tip at the obstruction/fish, and walked backward to go ahead and yank it out or break my line. The first time the jig came loose, I could still feel it on retrieive, and about 20 yards from shore I got another hit and landed about a 10 pounder. The second time this happened, same deal, I could feel the fish, gave up after about 10 minutes, pointed the rod tip at it, yanked, and broke my line. BTW, I caught another small one, about a 12-13 pounder soon after and the bite stopped.

What do you all think, reckon it was bigger fish on these two occasions, or I was trapped in some high strength fishing line?

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Thats hard to say in my experience, being i have seldem fished below any dam in a tailrace. Just not that many around my area that allows you to fish. BUT. I have had stripers go down and hug the bottom. Usually it only happens in the spring and fall when the fish are shallow. Now stripers will go deep when hung over deep water, but seldom deep enough to reach the bottom..

Several instances i've had stripers run down to the bottom and root in the mud like a carp looking for bugs. My best experience was in Oct of '08. me and my boy David Clark was fishing a tournament. Pulling short freelined planers boards over shallow water. My boat was in a Max. depth of 6ft. He hooked up with a nice striper, that went straight to the bottom and actually tried to dive into the mud. rooting around. the fish actually made a mud/bubble trail. Kicking up leaves and sticks. We did get the fish 21lb striper in, to find him covered with mud.

I can only assume the fish is digging his face around, triing to dislodge the discomfort of the hook from his face.

Now you say you had a tug of war with the fish. I've had this happen several times. To were you could fight the fish, and the fish could fight back. But the line was caught on something on the bottom. Just couldnt get passed that point. I can only guess that the when the fish was taking line. The main line caught on a rock or limb of some sort,its really hard telling what. and caused the line to go in a 45 deg angle. From your rod tip to the fish. Sometimes you can manage the to get the fish out. Most of my experience the line breaks from Becoming fraid. I guess the line just gets wedge up under or around, from you and the fish pulling in both directions that it makes it difficult to free....

3. festus

festus New Member

I think the line was wrapped or caught in something, but not rocks because my line didn't have any abrasions. There shouldn't be any wood in there to hang in either. This place has been heavily fished from the bank and boats, and I'd just like to see how many fishing lures and how many miles of line is down there.

And this incident I mentioned earlier wasn't the first time this happened. It's happened 2 or 3 other times around April-May. I'd get a good fish on, it would head downstream, and just stop. I don't think the water is much more that 10' to 15'. Above the dam it's only about 43'-48'. There have been stripers caught over 60 pounds above the dam, but the largest I've heard of in the tailrace was 44 pounds. I'm sure there's some bigger, however. They sure do fight in that current when they're generating full capacity. There was a 69-1/4" paddlefish caught there this spring on a striper jig. It was hooked in the corner of the mouth. I don't think the fisherman had ever seen a paddlefish, but he could possibly have had a state record.

4. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    They will go under stuff and hang you up and of coarse the older wiser fish, they know where those snaggs are better than we do.:cool2: