Striper on James

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by HookLineSinker, Oct 17, 2007.

1. HookLineSinker

HookLineSinker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I looked at the Virginia Marine Resources page and could not determine if the Striper Trophy season is in. (34" +) I plan to head out this weekend to catfish and thought I would cast around the plant docks and bridge for the rockfish. Anyone have the answer?

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    It sure is. Sorry I don't have a link, but a guy posted this for me when I asked the same question on another site. I spoke with the owner at Castaways last weekend and he says white jigs have been working well recently.

STRIPED BASS (ROCKFISH, STRIPER)
    [Regulation 4 VAC 20-252-10 et seq.]
    Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
    ........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
    ........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches
    ........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 9.....................2 per person
    ........................................Possession Limit - December 10 through December 31..............1 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be 34 inches or larger; no fish may be kept between 28 and 34 inches.

Chesapeake Bay regulations for both the Spring and Fall seasons described above apply in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia's Chesapeake Bay tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

Other Virginia restrictions: You may not combine possession limits when seasons overlap or you fish in multiple jurisdictions. Gaffing striped bass or attempting to gaff striped bass is illegal in Virginia marine waters.

Potomac River striped bass regulations: Different regulations apply in the Potomac River and its tributaries, including its Virginia tributaries. These areas are subject to the rules and regulations of the Potomac River Fisheries Commission, P.O. Box 9, Colonial Beach, VA 22443, (804) 224-7148; (800) 266-3904;
    http://www.prfc.state.va.us. For further information on PRFC rules contact PRFC directly

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Once again, great information that makes this site the best on the web. I'll rep you again as soon as they let me! :big_smile:

4. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    NO it is NOT in !!! (My brother in law lives on the eastern shore, and I used to live in Kiptopeke)

No matter where you live its::: it dont start until May 1st for "trophy season"

Virginia Trophy Seasons: Coastal Area (May 1-15); Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries (May 1 through June 15) ........................................Minimum Size Limit................................................32 inches
    ........................................Possession Limit.....................................................1 per person

here's the full link :
    http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/swrecfishingrules.shtm

5. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    time limit expired for edit

edit: you can keep 1 over 34 in the regular season, "right now" until Dec 31st. what they call "trophy season" starts in the spring. But your right a fish over 34 is a "trophy" no matter what times of year you catch it !! I cant wit to go home for thanksgiving and have baked rockfish the way momma bakes em.

6. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Lots of big ones up there on the James. Caught one last feb that was 38" long on cut bait fishing for blues...

7. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    fish for the stripers last weekend while fishing for blues but never got a bite in 3 days. the only time i can catch stripes on the james is when i cant keep them.