Striper fishing

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by tncatfishing, Dec 2, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I plan on going fishing this weekend for striper, at the steam plant in comberland city , tn. I have not realy :) specificaly targeted these fish and was wondering are they line sensitive? I use a very large diameter leader cause of the high snag and abrasion that are present. The striper from what I have seen , seem to prefer small skipjack, then compared to shad. I have tried with medium sized shad only to see the guy 50ft from me using small skipjack pull in some monster stripers and I just pull in the bait. That is why I am going to get a sabiki rig or three and target those smaller bait.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can easily solve that problem by putting a very large swivel (for strength) on the end of your heavy line, then adding a few feet of mono of whatever test you prefer to use. I use this with my braided superline, and mono of slightly lighter test so that if I have to break off, I don't break off any of my expensive superline.

3. Bank Catter

Bank Catter New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Do you use live bait or cut? Float or bottom. I caught a 12lber Sunday while catfishing on the bottom. I'm wondering how I can catch more.

Thanks!

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    We catch most our stripers on liver. We also use shad as well. I like to also use fresh felleted shad.

5. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Liveline them lil skipjacks and forget about them bein line sensitive....LOL

You could use an iron chain and doubt it'll make much difference.

Sometimes smaller is better,just be sure your hook is large enough to expose the point.If you still have some shad you might want to use it as cut bait while live lining the skipjacks.

If you found a spot where they seem to be hanging out,toss a few rapalas,topwater,and shadrap lures.May land a few while waiting for the other reel to start screamin!

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you can catch them on top, a really big topwater popper works great, and you can cast one of those things a mile. Watch the birds!

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I am a firm believer in watching the birds. When I am just out fishing( fishing for what bites), I will pay close attention to what the birds are doing. I have caught alot of White bass, wipers, and stripers in this fasion.

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Verlon, the birds have been really usefull to me in the past for locating bait also. Vern

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Mrwhiskers when I say line sensitive I mean as in if they can see the line will they strike I use a very heavy leader, that is what I meant. Catfish will strike about anything on ahook, that I know and it doesn't matter to a catfish if he can see the line. :D

10. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    On the Mississippi in my area we have white bass about 1 lb, but we hybrids that go up to 17# (personal best). I hear that November/Dec are great months for large stripers on Texoma Lake and just wonder if the cold weather is good for hybrids too. I have heard that stripers really feed hard on cold, windy days. What do you think about hybrids? I have caught nice hybrids while fishing for cats with 3 - 4" dead shad on the bottom. Really jerk the rod when they hit. Hannibal Mike