Striper Fishing.

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by TOPS, Sep 21, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    How many of you members striper fish? what bait or lure do you use. I only striper fish in the winter. I use shad and cut skips. on occasions, I will throw a Zaire spook.

2. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Wish I could help you out more on that one. I do not fish stripers a lot, but the ones I do catch have been caught on all sorts of small colored rapalas.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like fishing for stripers, and will often give them a try when I hear that they are hitting. I particularly like to catch them on top, using a big topwater plug; when they're not on top, I'll use several different artificial baits, but I try to find out what's producing. I like using 3"-6" curlytails, plastic shad, or real shad. Sometimes I put these on large jigs, but more often, I have a weight on the end of the line with a couple of droppers above with plain hooks on them. That's a lot less expensive when you hang up and have to break off, which happens very often when I'm fishing below the dams. When we were skipjack fishing over at Pickwick this past spring, they were catching lots of stripers running about 10#-12#, with an occasional fish running 20#-
    25#; bait was a fresh-caught skipjack about a foot long.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I catch mine in the winter at the hot water outlet of the nuclear plant. I fish for them in some occasions but most times I am skip jack fishing and pick up a few by mistake.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have used cut bait and most of the time I catch them by accident. :sad:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back before 9/11, when we could bankfish the discharge canal at the nookie plant, we used to tear up the stripers in cold weather.

7. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    phew i just about had a heart attack .. since the new board arrived i've stuck pretty much to just the catfishing stuff .. when i went to other fish and didn't see striper i almost fell outta my chair

striper should be running VERY soon here .. just need a solid week of nightime temps dipping into the 40's and my butt is going to be on the water, chucking some rattle traps and jerkbaits across some flats!

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    We have a major spawnin run every spring in the Delaware river. Use the same rigs I use for cattin other than I go to a larger circle hook with major league size pieces of cut mackeral. I enjoy the heck outa it! LOL!

9. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Out here (California) I use cut bait, shad or anchovies, or I'll throw lures mostly larger broken back rapals, rattle traps, flukes, etc.

We always seem to do pretty good.

-Brian

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Fellows,

I would like to get more into Striper fishing - any Striper that I get, that is of legal size, puts up a pretty good fight. So I can just see getting one that's 20 or 25lbs. :eek:

What time of the year is best & what kind of rigs are are the best at that time? :confused:

Hey Brian,

We are both from California - Where do you go to do your Striper fishing? :confused:

You Guys Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Bert, I catch my stripers in winter. They seem to stack-up in the hot water during the winter period. I cast a top water bait called a zaire spook.

12. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Hey Bert,

hwo ya doin? I do a lot out in Mendota. Spring and fall is the best time of year out there. Also the Delta/Mendota Canal, it tends to stay decent all year hit and miss. I also have some hidden spot up just north of Sacramento, big boys up there i have seen my dad's friend pulled a 45lber out of there adn 10-20 are average.

So when we going to hook up and do some fishin Bert? i know that you are in schoola nd so am I but we should get together sometime.

-Brian

13. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Hey Top!
    While Skippy fishin' I've seen the Laos boys down below the dam using whole shad and I'm here to tell ya they gotta know what they are doin' cause their stringers can hardly haul the fish they catch. None of them use a Zara spook or any lure, They'll throw their cast nets and keep maybe a dozen at a time. So I'd say live bait is best, not to say that lures don't work, but these guys got a handle on Stripers. Are you sure your not confusing the White bass with a Striper? Different fish all together. I know when we fished the outlet the Whites were what we caught while trying for Skippies and it's my understanding Stripers are hybrids. Anyways good to see ya posting regular, hope Jim can fix your motor so we can get back to business as usual...

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Brian,

I'm doing just fine buddy (thanks for asking :D ).

Your Right - We do have to get together and do some fishing. I'm down to go at anytime (Just ask our boy Robb :006: )!

But there's one problem - "I don't have a car" :sad:

I'm always willing to pay for the Gas, Bait, Food ect. "I just like to Fish"!

So anytime you or Robb are fishing up this way - I would like to join you guys.

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

15. kingArthur

kingArthur New Member

State:
    Clinton IL
    I'm from Illinoise and am about to venture down to Beaver Lake in Arkansas and Need to find out what the strippers are hitting on this time of year, also if anyone knows the lake good enought , where they know where the strippers are hitting, hit me up. Any information would be appreciated. :)

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not fished beaver lake yet but if it is like the lake here shad will produce some bites.

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Cataholic, the hybrid you're talking about is a cross between a whitebass and a striper. Also known as a wiper. We catch alot of wiper and whitebass here in se Kansas and also in ne Oklahoma. The nearest Striper we have around here are over 100 miles away...I'd love to try them out sometime. If they fight at least as good or even better than a wiper does...they're worth the trip then. Them wipers are a sporty fish...pound for pound the best fighter IMO. We catch the crap out of whities and wiper on rubber body minnow lures, and I see the guys on tv catching them on spooks. I also catch alot of wipers while catfishing on shad and chicken liver.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    From talking to guys who striper fish on Lake Ouachita, they may cast a topwater lure around daylight to stripers hitting on top, but generally, they are slow trolling large live shad, usually just above the submerged treetops. Downriggers are usually necessary to get down that deep. Beaver Lake and Lake Ouachita are both deep, clear mountain lakes, but I don't know if the forest in Beaver Lake was flooded, or clearcut before the lake filled. In either case, I would think that deep trolling over whatever structure is there should be effective.

19. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    If they are stacked up at that discharge try to find what they are eating and get a lure that will mimmick them.Up here in the Big D there is millions of fry comin down river and they are tearing them up.I have caught many on topwater plugs and diving minnow type lures.If you can get herring i would use that also like George said cut mackrel a or shad will work too but i feel herring is best.

"What time of the year is best & what kind of rigs are are the best at that time? "

Stripers are a migratory fish and usually make long long runs.In NJ they are making their way up around march april and in the fall they are makin the way back right now and through nov early dec..
    Usually they are chasing some baitfish down along the way and if you can use that bait that be best but most use clams,eels,lures and live bait.
    Stripers come up the Deleware to spawn in the spring chaising herring.I like to live line the herring useing the same rig i use to catfish.
    If your in an area like Jtrew seems to be and they hold all year crystal minnows,rapalas,rattle traps,jerkbaits and topwater plugs will work.

heres a couple pics to get ya'll excited!

Attached Files:

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here in Arkansas, they will definitely make spring runs, stacking up below the dams on the Arkansas River, and going up into creeks leading into the lakes. One thing I recommend is using heavy duty lures like you use in saltwater or specially made for stripers; stripers fight so hard that they sometimes tear up a lure with regular hooks.