Striper fishing Lake Murray Tomorrow

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by preacherfisherman, Nov 14, 2008.

1. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    I will be Striper fishing lake Murray tomorrow and need a little help. I have fished twice this week all over the lake and caught plenty of Stipers but none that measure. If anyone is willing to help a brother out just drop me a hint or two. thanks for anything.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know about your lake or your state, i wish I did. But I have been catching stripers for over 30 years or so. I fish mainly at cumberland river system that runs through Tennessee and up through Kentucky and all the lakes that it incorporates. We always used Live skipjacks and or Shad. We caught Really big ones back in the 80's and 90's and some of those were in the 40# range, with a few going even bigger. Have caught many smaller fish throwing white bucktail jigs with fish ranging from 4 or 5 lbs up through 15 or 20 lbs. How are you fishing??? From a boat? or the bank? Trolling? Casting? artificals? live? I'll check ya later Brother good luck!:wink:

3. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    i work on the lake at lighthouse marina and i fish the lake alot. the bad thing is that the stripers have been small all year. but the colder it gets the better it will get. i've been catching some keepers but not many in big hollow creek and have been getting reports of keepers being caught in johns creek also.but even the guides are having a tough time catching keepers also. one day i caught over 100, but every one was 6 to 10 inches long. it's tough right now but it's suppose to be below freezing every night next week. the water temp is 63 degrees, it needs to get in the mid 50"s, then things will change. bigger fish should bite better. good luck!!!

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Wish I could help but I've never been out that way . I do fish Stripers on Hartwell a lot . It sure will be Striper weather if the wind don't get the best of ya . Have fun, g'luck and be careful.

-Jim-

5. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    one thing i forgot, you need to throw bubba baits, big baits,pencil poppers, big zara spooks, large jerk baits,big bucktails also. bigger baits are catching bigger fish out of the schools!!!!this i know for a fact..... good luck!!!!

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea thats what we do here also . We also pull rainbow trout a lot .

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I would suggest you go to Wateree instead,the Striper bite is on fire down there in the "Honeyhole" area[between Colonel Creek and Clearwater Cove],drift the river channel with downlines and freelines with either live small threadfin shad,2inches are ideal,no bigger than 3 inches or use live shiners,start out with lines about 15 to 25 ft and adjust accordingly in 35 to 45ft of water,also watch for the birds running schools of shad,
    Wateree has no size limit and 10 fish Creel per person,although alot are being caught over 21 inches if that is what you are looking for.Cant Help you with Murray but thought I would let ya know about Wateree.

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I've never striper fished there, but have Smacked some nice blues on the head and let'em go!:big_smile: I'd take Tony's advice. He fishes Murry and you can take what he says to the bank.:wink: Martygreen knows what he's talking about on Wateree also.
    Good luck
    Pop Pop