Striper fishing at pickwick.

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by ShilohRed, Sep 23, 2006.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Been thinking about trying to drift shad or skip jack for Pickwick for stripers
    ( Sure it will work for catfish also) What I have done, Is take a 6" cat bobber From Maine Wolf Products . I use a bobber stopper and then below it. I have a bead and then a three way swivel. Then about 12" drop to a 3 oz sinker . Then 36" to a 5/o light wire circle hook.
    Set the cat bobber to where it will hold the bait off bottom 16+ inches and it works.
    Buck (BAM) and I caught 2 striper's below the dam doing this Thursday and no one was catching fish.
    And you can bet I will be back next week trying it out some more. And bet it will work great for catfish also. And not let you hang up like fishing without a float.
    Will try to post a picture of the rig soon.
    Also had Gene make up some giant floats for this and will be using them next. They will float 8 + oz of lead and a 12 to 14" skip jack with no problem.

Thanks Gene for making the bobbers up and brining them to the national..
    Pete

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sounds like a pretty good idea! I drift with Slip Bobbers in the lake for Blue Cats and did pretty good this summer.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Should have added that this is fishing in a boat in the boils right below the dam.
    Pete

4. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Pete:

You said that you thought that would work and I am glad to see that it Did. It will be interesting to see how the BIG katBobbers do with some really big baits. You said you were going to fish the Boils and it sounds like your stategy worked. Keep up the great fishin.

Gene

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Gene I get lucky some times. I hope to know how well the Big katbobbers work with bigger baits this coming week.
    And will be my best to add some pictures also.
    Pete

6. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    usally when i drift for strips ill use ballons for flotes. because they arecheap and you can ajust the ballon size acording to bait size
    and after you have caught a limt you can have a party :009:

7. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    ShiloRed, are you lettting the bait and float drift the same speed as the current or using your trolling motor to slow it down. Live or cut bait? I have seen people using floats to suspend live baits but they were always fishing the slack water in front of the flood gates, never in the fast discharge water. It sounds like you may be on to something... I'll give it a try the next time I'm fishing the tailwaters.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

I'm letting it run the same speed as the current in the boils. As for striper's your not going to get the bait to fast. LOL
    I set the float where the bait is about 2ft off bottom and let her drift with the flow.
    Works and your not getting hung up like fishing the boils without a float.
    As for Balloons I just don't think they would hold up in the current like the
    Maine Wolf bobbers do.
    Also with a 3 oz sinker and a 12+ inch shad or ship jack the big floats hold up well. Also I use a 5/0 Thin wire circle hook and the float sets the hook for you.

Pete

9. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    red i'm gad to here that fishing is still good there, i caught my first striper there in 92 and i still get excited about striper fishing