Striper fisherman just caught a nice blue

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Hot off the cell, a striper buddie just called me (3-14-08 @ 4:15 PM) and informed me that he had just caught a nice blue on his planer board while he was fishing for stripers. The fish measured 41" and had a girth of 34" and he wanted to know how much it weighed, he said it was a fat hog. I estimate somewhere around 55 to 56 pounds. He said it took him and his partner 20 some minutes to get it in the boat. They were using 15 pound test line and the fish went around the boat four times. Striper bud was nice, he let it go.

Water temp was 58.9 degrees and the blue hit at the mud line. He informed me that they were going real slow bouncing the live bait (bream) off the bottom.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's a nice fish there Mac. Maybe I should start striper fishing and then I can maybe catch a decent blue:smile2: Thanks for the report man.

3. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    girth sq x length /800 gives a good weight est, i got 59.2lbs

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Was the striper buddy anybody I know Mac?

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Shane, it was the one and only, Rawhide. He was pulling a bream.

6. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    10-4 I saw him this morning down around your neck of the woods. We got four stripers in little creek then went to the back of mountain creek and slayed them.

7. leupy

leupy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to looking for a lake norman guide later this year. For either bass, cats, strippers or even crappie just want to fish while visiting my kids and grand kids who live in Huntersville. Any recomendations?

8. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mack,
    Thanks for sharing this info. with us . I always enjoy reading your post. Congrats to you friend on the great catch. I think our Strippers are still got on their longjohns.

9. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    That's a very nice fish there.

10. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Leupy just call Mac and schedule he's one of the best. His name & number is right in front of you .Lake Norman is his name and lake Norman is his game.:cool2:

11. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    I recommend you talk with LakeNormanBlues aka Mac Byrum. His contact information is in the guide section on this board. He's one of the best!

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I am going to looking for a lake norman guide later this year. For either bass, cats, strippers or even crappie just want to fish while visiting my kids and grand kids who live in Huntersville. Any recomendations?..."

LakeNormanBlues is the man to call. Heck, he will even post some pics of you on the BOC!!! :wink:

13. catfishphil

catfishphil New Member

State:
    nc
    Me & Lonnie striper fish'ed Norman & MT ' Island year's ago. The best bait was bream all year long . In the summer & fall are the best. TRY IT .

14. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the post Mac. It is always good to hear that he let that big fish go....