striper cooking

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by catfishbill33, Nov 7, 2008.

1. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I have been a cat,crappie,bass fisher.But since we moved to Tnn we have experienced some stripper fishing.
    We need some good recipes for these fish.
    What are the red meats in these fish.
    They are a pleasure to catch and we have landed some 9-10 lbers.
    We just need some good ways to fry,smoke,bake them
    many thanks to all BOC friends

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't have any specific recipes, but striper is good fried, smoked, and baked. Just make sure you cut out the red meat before you cook it and only cook the white meat (I do the same with catfish). The red meat isn't good to me. I like it best fried like catfish.

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    David,
    Thanks for your help.I do cut the red out of catfish also.You have answered my question.
    thanks again

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Striper is one of the best table food available!!!You must trim off every bit of the red meat or it will ruin the whole skillet full. I take my striper nuggets and coat them in Andy's fish breading and fry in oil. Served along side some pinto or white beans with piping hot cornbread or hush puppies...it just dont get much better than that!!!!! Bon-a-petite!!!!!!!:wink:

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Definitely cut ALL the red meat out. I don't partiualry care for striper but have eat it fryed. I've heard you can chunk it up and boil it like shrimp in crab boil, dip in butter and it's good.

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    All of you are so special for you help.My wife is liking this also she was wondering about the red meat.......Now she knows
    This looks better all the time.
    thanks

7. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Andy this my kind of eating.

8. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Ok if u catch em to keep and eat i got some good advice if the fish are over 15 lbs. Bleed em make a deep cut to the bone on each side of the tail just above where the tail fin starts(make sure they still alive) if u do this there is lots less red meat, best way to eat stripers is baked in, curry,cumin,oliveoil,blackpepper a big spoon of each olive oil u use 3 spoons 3spoons lemon juice bake at 400 for 20-25 min uncovered in deep pan (you'll see the juice in it cook till its like u like it). serve with cole slaw, french fries. good fishing.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Smoked striper is hard to beat. I scale then fillet and leave skin on if I am going to smoke the meat. use seasonings of your choice or none at all. About 200 degrees until flesh starts to flake, there is a fine line between done and overcooked when smoking or cooking on the grill so be attentive.

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    We simply bake ours with some butter and seasoning. Excellent! Although, we are going to have to try some of these ideas.