Striped mullet fishing.

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by katfish hunter, Jul 18, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Down in a creek I fish there are big schools of striped mullet that continually move in the shallows.I've caught one before with night crawlers and lost two more.It took me about twenty minutes of finnesing the bait in front of the mullet to get it to bite.Then I caught it.What's the best bait for striped mullet.What's the best tackle, line test????

2. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    This is how I do it in the Altamaha river about 90 miles east of the Atlantic. I select an area on the backside of a sandbar. I then I sink a salt block and a laundry bag of rabbit food in the water approx 3 feet deep. The mullet will come and congregate around this area. I take a crappie buster rod with a couple of split shot and a bream hook baited with red wiggler worms and fish.

3. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I see that you are from JAX so is the creek a saltwater tidal creek, brackish, or freshwater?

4. rockk

rockk New Member

State:
    E.C,florida
    get some rolled oats, get it wet and make fist size balls, toss 5 or so in a 12 ft area, use 8lb test put a heavy weight on bottom then tie off small hooks six inches apart,i use 5 hooks, for bait use a white rubber worm cut into half eraser size pieces, throw into area you have chummed with oatmeal i usually use 4 rods tight line. when you get thru catching mullet cast your bait net