Stripe Bass in the Hudson River

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by StormCaster, Mar 26, 2007.

1. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Well, I did my yearly thing this past weekend fishing a few days after opening day for stripe bass. I fished with a hi low rig with a 4 oz. pyramid sinker at the end of long shock leader that was 30# and 2/0 size bait holder hooks that I snelled myself with the same 30# leader. One of the reasons I use a long shock leader is the area is rocky near the shore. The best knot for a shock leader to mono is the Albright knot. The benefits of a shock leader is that it allows me to grab the shock leader and haul the fish up. For bait I use bloodworms that is the bait of choice at this time of year here. Over the years I have learned that the best fishing is sometimes getting the most distance out of your setup and at the same time you need a rod that is sensitive enough to show bites. For casting distance I used the 525 mag with 15# Trilene on a 10 foot Lamiglas casting rod with medium heavy action. Although the rod is medium heavy it is still able to show the bites.

Well, I did catch a striper on every cast from 15 inches to 24 inches.

Tight lines

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Man You are breakin my heart. Ive been trying not to think about the spring run. I will miss it dearly Oh to be on sandy hook rips or fishing the Raritan Bay right now. the spring run is one of the things I will miss the most about Jersey.:sad2:

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Come up and enjoy the fishing. With each progressing day the stripe bass will only get bigger. As that happens I will move onto a bigger conventional casting reel.

More pictures in the future.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a buddy of mine was stationed in newburgh, ny, and was telling me about the striper run. man it sounds like something to look into in the coming years. he sent me pics of the hudson river too and it looked awesome.
    on the line to line knot, have you ever tried a blood knot to attatch your shock leader? in my experience it goes through the rod guides better than the allbright, but then again i am tying power pro to berkely big game.

5. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Actually the better knot for braid to mono is the Alberto knot. That is great knot and thanks for your input.