Strip the EVA off of a Ugly Stik Tiger?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mikemck, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    How much trouble would it be, and the approximate cost, to strip the EVA off and have it replaced with cork tape?

I really like the Tiger rods, but the grips are just way too fat.

TIA

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats a good question. I've been thinking about doing the same thing to 2 of my rods. Where do you get the cork tape at?

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    well guys a rod builder friend of mine says if it is two part epoxy it will be a bear , you will have to sand it down smooth , so just depends on the type of epoxy used. if not the 2 part you should be able to use a glue remover. if you do so if it were me i would tape where the handle is so not to remove the finish above the tape.just my ideas on it .

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If you wrap it with 550 paracord, instead of cork tape, you wouldn't have to get the rod near as slick.

Aaaaand, it would cost next to nothing.

Btw, I use old timey bicycle grips for butt caps...they really work well.

5. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    if anyone trys this post some pics, id like to see how it comes out

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Think of how thin your grip will be first?:cool2:

On a Eva handle ,:wink:,You can simply use braided line and just take it and wrap it around gloved hands and like a saw, slices through it like butter.start from on end and go to the other.Then after you get the most of it off down to the epoxy, which will be very minimal.take some 80 grit sand paper and just smooth it down..If you can find a Leigh or have someone connect and hold a drill to a screw that has been inserted into the butt cap and just turn it down with the paper to achieve the perfect cylinder.

Cork tape and be done,,Should be quick.. You will have to do something with your end caps and the ends of the reel seat. You will not get it off that easy,CUT.:eek:oooh:

Maybe leave 2 1/2-3" of eva on each end of handle and each side of reel seat, like a split grip and put the cork in between?? Just a suggestion..:cool2: