stringers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rasmotherman, May 10, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    I nearly always CPR my fish. I always throw cats back unless someone places an "order" for em. as of yet i do not have a livewell, so i am stringering my fish that i do keep. how do you put your fish on the stringer? do you hook em through the gill plate or through the lip?

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    a few times a year, i keep a few channels for the table.. i always put my stringer through the lip. there has been many times out fishing when i would catch 1 or 3 very quickly, put em on the stringer, and not catch any more the rest of the time out.. if i only catch a few, i usually throw them back till next time.. ive had fish on a stringer through the lip for up to about 10 hours before, and when turned loose they swim off just fine. this is just my opinion, but i feel if theres any reason i might have to set em free, theyll live longer and healthier with the srtinger through the lip opposed to the gills..

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Kyle, you hit the nail on the head if your going to hold catfish with a stringer.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish CPR and some time don't bother with photos. When I kept fosh way back when. I always went through the lip for the same reason as Kyle

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Through the lip also.

6. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Alweays through the lip for the same reasons

7. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
  8. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Must be nice to go out and catch enough to CPR. My family likes to eat fish and no more than catch I usually place thru the lip.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I put a fish on a stringer, I bring it home...and always run it through the bottom lip so it will stay alive and fresh.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you're gonna eat em, hooking em by their gills don't matter anyways.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS