Stringer or livewell

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by superman, Sep 22, 2006.

1. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i was out fishing last night with a buddy of mine on the mississippi river and for some reason we got into the debate of which method is the best for keeping fish alive and healthy a stringer or livewell i kept 5 channel cats under 5 pounds i have a 50 gal. bait tank in my boat which also serves as a livewell ( and yes i have seen kitties i have put in there eating my shad ) i was just wondering which method you prefer and why

2. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    If I am keeping a fish, it goes in my fishbox on ice. I always have a couple of bags of ice with me. When I catch the first keeper, I dump a bag in the box, then the fish goes on top of the ice. I add more ice as needed.

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I like to use a live well personally but only if it uses fresh water when it kicks on.

4. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I like to use a livewell.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I do a lot of fishing at a hot water return at a Power Reactor Lake, the water temperature gets close to 100 and the cat fish just dont do well in my live well. If I am going to keep them, I will bring the ice and place them in an ice chest.

6. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I use a stringer I dont have the money for anything else:big_smile:

7. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i think it would be better on the fish in live well if you were to let them back i always catch an release my fish live well is my pick

8. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Live well or ice em down .

9. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    i use a live well that way they stay most on long interstate trips throw in some ice and then drain it a couple of miles from the house works good

an the other hand short trips ill use a stringer because the fishusally stay aliver or moist and i can hang the stringer on the hook that i have on my cleaning table and take them off as i clean them

10. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My experience is that if you want to keep them alive for very long, they'll do better in a livewell. Since I eat quite a few of the fish I catch, or release them in a friends pond. I like to keep them alive and healthy as long as possible. Even those that I clean, I prefer to have alive right up until "lights out time". If I'm fishing from shore, and don't have a livewell, I use a fish basket and then a tub of water during transport. In the past when I used a stringer, most of the fish were dead or in poor condition after a few hours. This is what works for me.

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I would rather use a live well if I have to keep fish alive. A stringer is ok for about one large fish if you're trying to keep it alive but I see people stacking fish on there and those will more then likely die. If I'm going to keep fish to eat then I put them on ice in a large cooler and if I'm not keeping them then I take a picture an release them right away.

12. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't keep fish that often but when I do it is usually to help stock my buddies farm ponds....if I do that I have a 30 gallon rubbermaid tub in my boat with cool water and an aerator hooked up to my battery...once I get to my truck I have a 100 gallon poly-tank with a high powered bilge pumped hooked up to another battery for the transport home. It pumps out at a pretty good rate and it keeps the oxygen going. I haven't lost a fish yet in transport. Oh yeah I also put a little bit of "better bait" in with my water to neutralize any chemicals that may harm the fish, works great. I recommend it whenever you are putting fish in water that comes from a well, or tap or anything other than the pond or river the fish came out of. So to answer the question, I prefer my makeshift livewells over anything as long as I can keep the water cool and keep it oxygenated.

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Livewell works for me. If I am CPR they go straight back in the water. If I'm keeping them--livewell and once home air bubbler if I want to wait till the next morning to clean them. I like em fresh.

14. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I use a net I made from a hoop net, it hangs on the outside of the boat from the oar lock and folds flat in the boat when not in use.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you are keeping fish to eat throw them on ice immediatley. As fish begin to die there are chemicals that are released that affect the taste of the meat. Putting them on ice quickly slows the metabolism and reduces these chemicals.

16. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    I Use The Livewell

17. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I use a big ice chest to carry my bait and I also use it to hold my fish.

Ken

18. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have always used a stringer , when i fish tourny's each fish goes on its own fifteen foot stringer , if im planning on eating them they all go on one have never had a fish die on me if on stringer guess its due to being over the side of the boat in fresh flowing water . i dont have a live well but do a bait tank , just a tub of water have never seen a reason to put my cats in it tho.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    If we are going to eat the fish it goes straight in the cooler on ice, if we are keeping it live we use the livewell. I usually end up just using the livewell for my bait.

20. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    usually the cats go on a stringer if i'm going to keep them... i fish from shore mostly and a stringer is easy to keep and doesn't require carrying too much excess weight around.. When i'm in the tournaments we don't have the room to store them (live well in partners boat is like 12 gallons, barely big enough if we wanted live bait) so we are forced to use stringers (hate putting fish that i'm not going to keep on a stringer but nothing else has worked for keeping fish)