Striking out on the river what gives???

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Nov 23, 2007.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Anyone got any ideas on what is up with the river in Cincinnati right now? We went from catching 30 fish in a day to 2 unproductive weekends in row. We hit every deep hole I know of up and down the river, some 60+ ft deep. Seemed like every hole we would get 1 blue maybe, and then nothing. Biggest today was a 27#, but still only 5 fish?? The water temp was 54 degrees, do you think the water isn't quite cool enough for them to be in those deep wintering holes? I am stumped right now, I mean don't get me wrong, I know we were spoiled rotten catching 30 fish in a day, but to go back to the same HUGE deep hole twice after that, and not have much to show for it boggles my mind. I am wondering if this cold front that came through yesterday had something to do with it also?...Any suggestions, or anyone else kind of getting the same results lately?:eek:oooh:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    travis, i can't speak words about blue fishing when im a small-time flathead guy! lol. But, sounds like to me that you had a day we all have every now and then. I remember pre-fishing for a tournament one time. i had a serious honey spot, and they were on fire for a few trips there! i pre-fished one evening for about an hour or so. catching a couple fast, before deciding to set the hook into the baits and drag the bait away so i wouldn't sore mouth them. after a couple other runs i left. bragged to my buddys about the suceess and even opened my wallet to one friend to just pay up!!!! well!!! ROLLO, went back to get shut-out! LMAO! pretty much!! this has happened to me before and i should have not got soo cocky! LOL... Just another indicater that when you think you have them figured out, maybe they just have you figured out!.... isn't fishing fun? :big_smile: rollo

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i also can say, i have caught fish one night then not the next. weather influences more than we think. i bet the fish were still there, just not very active. my example is during the winter, i keep bait from the cold months till mar. or april. sometimes from christmas till then. their metabolism slows, but i try to feed them often...sometimes they tear it up when i drop crackers in, sometimes not. I know the weather has to influence them some sort of way...rollo

4. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Travis, Me and my uncle (Randy-Kataddict)have had the same results. We were Slaying the blues in deep holes for about 6-7 trips in a row. I mean pretty good fish to 20-35 pounders. When the front came in it was like you fliped a switch and the fish just quit. For the last 3 trips we have had horible luck (2 or 3 small channels all day). About the same time the front came the current starting flying which we Just love. We thought we were gonna slay the fish beins we normally catch many blues when we have current. and the survey saids...........................................aaaah wrong again. rollo is right when you think you have em figured out they got you figured out. Were going back out tomorrow. Hopefully they are hungry.:roll_eyes:

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Gotta agree, when we got out there and I saw the current had picked up I started foaming at the mouth, then...hmm....ok wrong again! Rollo is definatley right. Thats ok though I know we will get them sooner or later. Let us know how you guys do, good luck.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    TBULL, The water temp may have just gotten to the pre-winter phase, so now those holes you were catching fish in are empty cause they have moved towards more sutible holes to wait out the winter. Or they could still be in your old holes and just not feeding. If I had to guess thou I'd say they moved. It may not be far or it could be the other end of the pool. Wintering holes are not always the "deepest holes". Wintering holes are where the fish feel comfortable with the current speed, current breaks, availible food supply first, then depth. So start fishing a couple of your mid depth holes when running between the deep ones just to cover all your bases.

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alright now which one of you sent the telegraph to the fish that said i was fishing at meldahl damn today fishing??? I think they all got it cause they sure didnt bite today. marked many fish on the graph and put the bait right on there noses. 4 trips in a row and zero big fish. months of good fishing trips right in a row and boom. 4 trips with zero luck. It has to be our strategy. Guess we will just have to try something new.:wink:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've heard some decent cats were being caught above and below Greenup L&D. They said live bluegill & just the heads on bottom was doing pretty decent for flats. Not sure what depth since they were bank fishing it.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Not me, but I was planning on hitting that up next weekend at Meldahl and you have me rethinking my strategy....lol

10. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    the weather and the fish are slowing down a bit, we have been fishing in knox lake last few weeks, were out fri nite until 1:30 AM , still biting but very slow, caught a 9 1/2 lb last sunday and several 3-5, all on livers and may be going back out tonight, depends on when the rain arrives lol, just keep trying and moving the baits around, they wont move to get it unless its very close , good luck and when i figure out how ill post the pic of the big one last week :wink:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes, they have slowed. i went yesterday and caught a flathead in the afternoon and lost one on an 8inch largemouth after a minute or so fight. hook pulled free. gotta say it was a good fish...rollo

12. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    here is a pic in my avatar of the cat i caught last week in knox lake, it was 9 1/2 lbs and 30 inches long, there are only supposed to be channels and a few flats in here but this one has 32 anal fins which is supposed to be a blue ? its back in the lake anyways and hopefully growing lol :wink:

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    From the fork in his tail thats a big channel. Blues don't have such a pronounced fork. This time O year a near 10lb channel is nothing to sneeze at. I know guys on here that haven't caught anything close to that size lol. Congrats.

14. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    thanks skip, im still hoping to get down to the muskingam again yet this year lol, i havent caught a big flat yet this year, we have been down twice this summer just a few small ones so far

15. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I didn't get as much time down on the Musk as I would have liked, but I think it was a bad year for all, the way the weather was, was just was not conducive to good cat action.
    P.S. that is the Mighty Musk in the background on my avatar.