Strikeforce irritates me

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by rockbass, Jan 9, 2010.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is anyone else irritated with Strikeforce?

Strikeforce is the only org out there that can compete with the UFC and give us more mainstream coverage of MMA. So far since Elite went down last year, they haven't given us much. They gave us a Fedor fight where Fedor won, but also took more from a guy that shouldn't have been on his level. Their production value is very low, and their commentary sucks. The Strikeforce shows will sometimes have one set of guys, then another time have a different set depending on if it's on Showtime or CBS. You get to hear Mauro's irritating voice, and the in ring announcer sound exactly like he does for boxing matches.
    They signed an ignorant contract with M-1 making them co-promoters, and with that made it so Fedor and Gegard Mousasi have to fight on the same cards.

They have a chance to put on a good card here soon. They have 5 main card fights that all should be good if they want to actually show they have good talent. They give us Robby Lawler against Melving Manhoef which will be a guaranteed KO. They give us Nick Diaz who has been on a tear, and they give us the ugly chick that beat Gina. Those 3 fights are all good. Then they hit us with BOBBY LASHLEY. He has all the star power of Brock Lesnar, only instead of being like Brock and wanting to come into MMA and go right up against tough guys, he wanted to and still wants to do what he should be doing in small shows, and fight cans to get some experience. That makes complete sense to me, however the 2nd largest MMA org. is going to put him on a main card bout where he should be fighting someone GOOD. He is going to fight Yohan Banks. Who is that you ask? Good question. He's nobody with a 2-1 record. Needless to say, I hope Lashley loses or at least has trouble with this guy. Most likely though, this guy will be looking to make his name against wrestling star Lashley and will get KO'd.
    the second gem for this night is Herschel Walker. I know He is coming in wanting to compete in MMA because he wants to compete and is putting all his earnings toward charity. That is very admirable and all, but seriously? Why would or should Strikeforce put him on the main card? Ratings. they want Football fans that will see many commmercials on CBs to tune in to see FORMER football great Walker fight MMA. That's wonderful. Get people that don't give a crap to turn it on. Walker wins against his opponent....a 1-1 Greg Nagy.
    Maybe I'm just wanting to see good fights between good fighters that should be on the card? Either way, it's annoying to me. Strikeforce just seems to be doing a great job and taking what could be right up there with the UFC (almost) and making it seem more like Minor shows or Orgs from Japan that almost always have some sort of "Freak Show" matches mixed in on their cards.

Just my OPINION. Feel free to share your thoughts! :cowboy:

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    what he just said.
    and also,joe rogan,is annoying as hell to me too.not so much the sound of his voice,but just what he says a lot of times.MHO
    but yeah you pretty much said it all.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I look at Stikeforce as where the has-beens go, and those who don't hve a prayer in the UFC. Fedor turns down $40,000,000 contract with UFC to fight for Strikefoce? C'mon! Nobody cares if he can beat Brett Rogers...and Rogers almost had him beat. He could have beat the crap out of Fedor, but he backed off. Fedor doesn't want to prove he's the best in the world. He wants an easy ride. Otherwise, he would fight the best of the best in the UFC. I guarantee Frank Mir knows how to defend against an arm bar or rear naked choke. Other than that, who do they have that could hang in the UFC? Nobody that I know of. Nick Diaz, maybe.

I watch it, though because I can't miss a fight. :angry:

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Unfortunatley, and as unfair as it is, Strikeforce just isnt going to be able to sustain a long term competition with the UFC. I don't agree with it, but its just the way it is. Their signing of "Hendo" is ultimatley going to put them far into bankruptcy. It's really frustrating, but the buisness model of the UFC is simply to dominate all aspects of MMA, for some reason the WEC is the only organization that gets the UFC's blessing, simply because the UFC owns the WEC. Hell I can't even watch that anymore for free since Versus is in a dispute with Direct TV. What ultimatley is going to happen is the UFC is going to have to open up the 145lb and 135lb weight classes. Why they havent yet is beyond me, especially when the WEC has the star power of Urijah Faber and Mike Brown to name a few. Every other organization that tries to compete with the UFC is giong to ultimatley go down which is unfortunate, because there are alot of good fighters out there who will never get the full credit they deserve, simply because they havent fought, or will not the best in the World, because the best in the world fight in the UFC. That being said, I think there needs to be a way for hardcore MMA fans to watch good events without paying the 45$ UFC PPV price tag.

Fedor in my opinion is dodging the best cempetition in the world, but hey its his life, but he has to know deep down that he will always have a "what if" hanging over his head if he doesnt move to the UFC and prove he is the best of the best. And being busted up by a nobody in his last fight, really makes you wonder how he would fair again the best guys like Broke Lesnar.

I agree with ya, StrikeForce needs to change there ways asap, or they will be going under even sooner than they would have anyway..

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with ya!

UFC should end up being the NFL of MMA. Period. the thing with the UFC is that they are building MMA along with themselves. Countless gyms and companies MMA realted out there owe everything to the UFC. Like it or not, that's the truth. Strikeforce owes everything to the UFC. The UFC is the ONLY MMA org in the world that has worked to get MMA where it is today. The UFC is leading the fight to get MMA regulated in states. If Strikeforce was left to that, MMA would only be in Cali and Nevada. Is the UFC perfect? Not one bit. They have however done one thing consistently. They continue to grow the sport and themselves and continue to spread it around. Tapout as a company would not be here if it weren't for the UFC. They have said that themselves. In turn, they also help by supporting fighters from the ground level up.
    Strikeforce's big downfall might just end up being Fedor. They gave him money they should not have done. M-1 wants a lot of dumb stuff in order for Fedor to fight. Strikeforce gave it up because they had Showtime and CBS backing them. Bottom line is, they need Fedor to bring a big crowd.
    Joe Rogan? His voice gets on my nerves at times, but at least he knows what he's talking about. Goldberg, they could lose and it wouldn't matter, but really, who else would they use? Once Randy finally gives it up, I'd like to see him commentate.

now Strikeforce is after Josh Barnett. Literally the guy who put the final nail in the coffin of Affliction with his pos steroid test. yeah, let's build another fight between Fedor and Barnett up after what happened last time. Wait, Barnett wants way more than he's worth so he prob won't sign.:freaked-out:

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Lashley's initial opponent was turned down by Florida because of how lopsided it was. Another opponent came up and was approved, NOW STRIKEFARCE decided not to have lashley fight the new guy.
    This is bull. they are trying to hand feed him easy wins, and now Strikeforce, Showtime, and Lashley have to approve of someone. Sounds like they are trying to cherry pick who he fights. It was bad enough Lashley went the distance in his last fight against a guy he should have steam rolled, now they gotta make him have an easier target