Strike Three at Clinton Lake in Illinois today

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Doyle, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    . I tied up at the cable today. Got there at 7:00 am and left when it started lighting about 10:30 am. There were 3 boats on the cable. The guy next to me caught 5-7 good size catfish and one very big perch. Maybe 10 lbs. I must not be holding my mouth right. We were both using cut shad fishing near the same area. I did not get a bite. We were fishing up the hot water return shoot and he was consistently casting up the stream 50-60’ farther than I could get…. might be the difference. I may use lighter line, a bigger weight, and a longer pole next time I go over there to cast up stream farther.

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I've had the same thing happen below Wilson Dam in Alabama. I've been 20' from someone who constantly hauls in one fish after another while I get skunked. Seems to be there are grooves that hold fish due to a little less current there. He was fishing the grove, I wasn't.

It is frustrating

3. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    At the risk of sounding stupid, is a Perch the same thing as a Freshwater Drum?

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think they are called Drum Perch, They have the shape of a very fat big sun fish being white in color. I've caught smaller ones but never seen one as big as this guy caught. He released it as soon as he got the hook out but it started floaten.

5. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have did pretty good at the hot water ditch. But there is usually soo many boats. How crowded has it been?

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I try to stay away on the week ends. The three times I've been there this year, there was room for some more on the cable. I guess that will change very soon and you will have to get there at day lite.

7. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doyle,

I am always confused by what exactly the hot water return shoot is and where it is located. I know there are certain parts that are off limits--but not sure exactly where you are referring to?

Thanks,
    Trent

8. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    It sounds like there is a lot of fishing pressure at the cable. I wonder if all of the pressure came from a guy posting pictures of a big catch made at the cable on this board or if it was always that way. I am not knocking anyone, I am just presenting the possibility of catching a couple of fish and posting it on a message board may result in your good spot being taken over. I personally do not like having to stand in line to fish. It sounds like it is pretty crowded to me.

9. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The hot water return at Clinton is just west of the Rt. 48 Bridge. The cable keep boats from going up the channel any farther than the edge of the river. This area is closed off in Sept. and opened back up in March. I don’t believe that this place is a secret to any body who fishes Clinton. If it get too full then the fish will get caught and I will go else where. I am not greedy. There are many places that produce well. I hope lots of people enjoy fishing as much as I do. You notice I said fishing…not catching. There are a lot of people catching more fish than I.

10. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Doyle for the info. I started fishing Clinton lake 2 years ago, and agree with you that there are many good places to fish. Last year I appreciated your helpful comments, and appreciate them still! I hope to see/meet you at the get together the 29th.

11. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I used to coonhunt around the lake but I have never fished it. It sure looks good. The Northfork area looks real promising for catfish.
    I don't mind other folks fishing, it is a great sport. But, I think too much advertisement on message boards can lead to too much fishing pressure at a well advertised spot. I have never caught many big fish in a crowd, so I avoid crowds. And, I may not say much about where I fish to avoid it becoming too crowded. That's just me, I know other folks don't see it that way.
    On the 29th, I am going to be competition squirrel hunting with my dogs or I may have tried Clinton with you guys.