Strike one.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by samh, Oct 1, 2009.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Went over to the place by the pond this afternoon and got up in my stand about 4. Picked me out a small bush about 15 yards out and fired a test arrow at it from my longbow, bulls eye, one dead bush.Had a doe and 2 fawns come in, the fawns went to eat'n but the doe smelled a rat and also my trail and backtrailed me for a couple of 100 yards up the road where I had walked in. About the time she came back the fawns spooked and a good 8 piont ran in and went to eat'n. He ate for 10 minutes about 20 yards from me but kept his butt to me the whole time. I'm play'n statue all the while with a cough want'n to start, my nose itch'n and some kind'a bug make'n it's way down my neck, but I didn't move. Sure enough Mr. Buck turns to head to the pond and stops, broad sided at 15 yards right beside the bush I'd shot. I come to a full draw, concentrate on a small spot high on his side, since I'm about 16 feet above him, and let one fly. It flies straight and perfect, left and right, but about an inch over his back. He trots off about 20 yards behind me, looks back at the arrow stick'n in the ground and walks a few more feet behind me and takes a long drink out of the pond and then spends the next 45 minutes feed'n on honeysuckles and greenbriers within sight of me before move'n on off. We'll see if I do any better on the second pitch tomarrow.

2. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Sorry things did not go your way today but I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

3. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It was'nt your day, maybe tomorrow. Happens to all of us from time to time

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Better luck tomorrow. We all want to see some pics of him tomorrow

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, your patience paid off, ya got to see him, and got a shot. If ya hit him it woulda been a lot of work to gut him and drag it away.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Excellent Read! Good luck and a great in the woods for sure.

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Good luck. What kind of a long bow do you shoot. I have a 60 pound hickory and cherry longbow.

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    50# Bear Montana bow, been building some bows myself too, but haven't got the bow make'n down to where I trust mine enough to hunt with, but plan on have'n one by next year to use.

9. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Don't worry I couldn't hit the ground with a longbow. Well maybe eventually cause of mr. gravity

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sorry 'bout that Sam, but maybe tomorrow you'll have some new pictures to show off. Good luck & good hunting!

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Missin:crazy: I could write a book on it myself. he'll be back and you'll be eatin backstraps. good luck