Stretching Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by CountryHart, Feb 10, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just wanted to ask if anyone stretches their line periodically to reduce the amount of memory. After my rods have been spooled, i like to tie it off to the mailbox and release it back off as I walk away. Then i put tension on it and reel it back up.This helps to reduce memory of line which hasn't been used in a while. I guess if i caught big enuff fish I wouldn't need to do this.:confused2: I does help the loop d loops.

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Memory is normal in about all mono line which occurs a lot is why I've switched to braid and I don't have to change the line as often. I've also heard that stretching mono weakens the line thats why some people cut of whatever amount of line thats exposed when they've been hung up. I also know a couple of guys that change out their mono line after a few days of fishing which seems like a lot of waste to me but everyone has their own way of doing things and their own favorite type of line.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you strech mono to the breaking point it will weaken the line..I dont think a little stretch will hurt it?

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    another way to reduce memory in fishing line. if you are in your boat, release all the line into the water with no weight. go about trolling speed in your boat. reel the line back onto your reel. this does help with the loops in your line. it works for me.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've done that also Mark. Also I use reel magic on mono and it seems to help. Especially with baitcasting rods.

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    one word of warning if you're putting that line on a graphite or plastic spool the line will put a lot of pressure on the spool and crack it quick.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use power pro and dont have that problem, th best mono i use to use was big game by berkley