Stretching Furs

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Mar 10, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    How long should you stretch a racoon fur???

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I allways left mine on the streachers till fully dry sometimes it might take a week .You will be able to tell when its fully dry ,if the area around the nose and ears is dry its done. as these seem to take a bit longer

3. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Kevin, one thing is for sure, you need to make sure you have a clean dry, low humidity place to hang the fur. Wipe the grease of the hide as it dries and this will help speed up the drying process. I have a 12'X12" building that I hang my fur in. It is well insulated and moisture guarded. I run a small electric heater with no expose heating element. I regulate the temp between 65-70*. Any hotter and the fur darkens and shrinks up to much, any cooler and all the grease want come out of the hide. I have taken them off the boards after 5 days when pushing a lot of fur through, but 7-9 days at the above temp works best. Once removed from the board keep in a cool, humidity free place with air circulation. Oh, and I run 2-3 fan 24-7 in my fur shed moving the air. You do not want the air to get stagnate or mold will grow.