Stretchers

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Feb 28, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i am looking to buy some stretchers and was wondering if anyone knew any cheap places to get them, or how to make them, if you know how to make them please post the dimensions

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I make most all of my own .I like wood for streachers better than wire i dont know exactly what diminsions they are but I'll check and let ya know .what type are you looking for?

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Racoon, and i heard from alot of people that they prefer the wood ones, the only problem was is the websites i found them it wasnt worht it to get it shipped so i wanted to make my own. basicly looking for small medium and large... and i was wondering, couldnt you just stretch the pelt out on a piece of ply wood? (nail the legs onto the board)

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Kevin, how much are you wanting to pay? Here is a price list for you.
    Coon: 7 and 7.5 inch boards.
    $5.00 each...$27.00/6...$48 a dozen

Fox: 5.5, 6, 6.5 and 7 inch bases. 6.5 and 7 are NAFA...
    $5.00 each...$27.00/6...$48 a dozen.

Muskrat..6 and 6.5 inch bases.
    $2.50 each.....$13.00/6...$22 a dozen..

Mink...NAFA..2 3/4 and 4 inch bases...
    $2.50 each...$13.00/6...$22.00 a dozen..

Coyote solids.. 7 1/2 and 9 inch bases...
    $9.00 each

Coyote adjustables.
    $11.00 each.

Otter..7 and 8 inch bases..
    $9.00 each

Coon and fox can be mix and matched for dozen prices. Mink and muskrat can be mixed also. All basswood. I do supply wedges IF i have the scrap lumber to do so. I don't like to use good lumber because of the price i have to pay. Buyer pays shipping cost. I only charge exact shipping cost. I can special make boards also. All i need is a copy of your pattern. O.k, i think that's all. Any more question feel free to ask.

Craig Todaro

This is the best price I have heard of and I know lots of guys who say these are good boards. Plus you get the wedges with these. Let me know and I will tell you how to get intouch with Craig.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    those are some of good prices compared to what ive found, sounds really good, thankyou very much for the info! and um what are wedges, ive tried to read some books from the library about trapping but by far this website and everyone on it *thankyou very much* has helped me the most!

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    a wedge is a wedge shaped board about 1/2"-3/4" wide, 1/8" wedged up to 1 1/4" and around 48" long. you place the wedge between the board and the belly. When the fur dry you can remove the wedge easy and then the fur has slack so it will come off the board easy. If you don't put a wedge in, the hide will dry and be srunk and stuck to the board.

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    O, Thankyou, thanks for all your help, im trying to learn everything i can right now and gathering stuff for next years season!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm glad that we have been able tobe of some help to you Kevin,now the thanks you can give will be posting some pics next season to show up us older guys

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Kevin lots of times you can find wire streachers at swap meets.

Don't forget to share some of what you know and learn with young trappers.
    best of luck
    just

10. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This was my first year trying my luck at putting up my furs. I got some wire stretchers to try for starters. Met an old timer who showd me how to make wooden ones. Man you can tell the difference on your furs. My fox and coyote looked way better coming off the boards vs wire.

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

if you know what you are doing you can do very well with wires. i own a ton of them , wood is nice but alot of the times most people cant tell what you hung it on.and wire store real nice.even though i have thought about getting me some of those adjustables for my yotes and cats

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Furs dried on wood will look a little better then dried on wire stretchers due to not srinking as much but I do use wire for the convience except for mink and beaver then I use wood. I use cardboard wedges on my fox on wire stretchers to keep the flesh side from touching and helps dry the pelt faster with the fur and ears standing up so it looks fuller. I use a small piece of thin plywood to pin the coon tails out flat then cut a large window in the belly so as to show the good fur on the back. You can find cheap wooden or wire stretchers at most any trappers meet if one comes close to your area.

13. TrapperTom

TrapperTom New Member

State:
    pa
  14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the post and welcome to the BOC Tom!

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree with beetle. Fur just looks better on wood. Harder to work up, but I feel you get a better finished product.