Strengthening the transom

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by tehrealmccoy, May 31, 2008.

1. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Hello all,

I have a 12 foot jon boat and a 5 horse motor, the recommended rating for it. The problem is the transom buckles when going full throttle. I was thinking a good piece of plywood and some boards going across would reinforce it. Any tips?

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    on that small of a boat,a piece of 2 inch angle from side to side just below where the motor goes on should work good

3. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    My biggest concern is not having any leaks. I can't weld anything and don't have anything to do rivets with.

Tony could you please tell me more?
    Thanks!

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I ran a 4 hp on the side of a coleman canoe for years.. and what i did was take 2 -2ft long 1x4's hardwood and sandwich the canoe ,where the engine mounted...
    1 on the outside 1 on the inside , screwed together with deck screws..

the angle iron sounds good also...Or if it is flexing down lower , you could cut plywood the shape of the transom and secure it with POLYEURETHANE CONSTRUCTION ADHESIVE...That stuff sets up like tupperware.and it is waterproof

5. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Yes, it is the lower part that is flexing and I was thinking plywood would do the trick. Would plywood do the trick just adhering it to the transom? Wouldn't it need to be attached to the floor or something to prevent it from actually bending?

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So what do you have for a transom now?
    Is it just aluminum?
    The transom in my 14' jon was rotten and I put off repairing it by just C clamping an oak 2X6 to it.
    I had a 12' jon once and iirc the transom was backed with plywood just like the bigger boats.
    Check out my transom replacement thread in this forum for pix and step by step procedure.
    Mine is just one way to do it.
    There are many transom threads here. Use the search function.
    best of luck
    just

PS
    If it buckles you'd probably better do something fast.

7. trailhunter1979

trailhunter1979 New Member

State:
    il
    eliminate the transom problem find a wrecked jetski and slap the motor in there and u can go down the river @50mph in 2 inches of water go where others cant!!