Stream or lake?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Jan 12, 2007.

Stream or lake?

1. Stream/River

2. Lake/Reservoir

3. 50/50 Streams and Lakes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am a stream fisherman. Always have been - but I would like to try some good blue cat fishing in those run-of-the-river lakes. What do you mainly fish?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I love fishing the Missouri River, but I won't hesitate to go where they're biting! Just ask Marty or Brad.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    IF the question was only applying to cats then lake/reservoir is right but I also trout fish so I fish streams alot.

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I love to fish anywhere, but there is nothing like being on a river that is just full of life.

Wheelmobile07

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Definately have to go with the river. I just can't seem to get fond of lakes for some reason. There's nothin' at all like sittin' on the bank in the middle of nowhere by the river. (fishin', skipping stones, camping, or ANYTHING) Ya just can't beat it.

-Red

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I assume that the question is where you fish and not where you take a bath!

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    This is a loaded poll. Its not so much which you prefer, but what is most accessible to me. I fish both, but have best access to lakes. I love the rivers and streams when I get a chance to fish them. But, I don't really find same size fish fight that much better in either place. Yes, the current does seem to make the fight seem stronger, but those lake cats don't just sit still, they swim miles and miles too. If I had the opportunity, I'd be on the rivers, but less for the fishing part than the beauty.

8. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I have better access to lakes as well but since i don't have a boat yet i fish from the banks. Easier to locate the fish on a river bank rather than a lake bank IMHO.

Wheelmobile07

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have been fishing streams and rivers.

10. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Most I like fishing on river, reservoir, and lake.. well river is great to catch many catfish I have been caught them.. other reservoir and lake are great too!

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    For some strange reason, you didn't list rivers,..... HHHHMMMMM!!!!
    I only fish Rivers so, I couldn't vote in this one, LOL!!! You kinda left us river guys out in the cold on this one :roll_eyes: !!!

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    JW - now if you are being serious, the first option includes rivers. check again:confused2:

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have fished pretty much the same spot for 17 years. A river at the base of a dam. But, I also like to get out every chance I can so I will fish any body of water when I get the chance....

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I start out the year catching whitebass, wiper, walleye, and channel cats at the beginning of Feburary in the Neosho river.

Then the Blues come upstream in May to spawn...for about 4-6 weeks...that's all I do.

Most of my available vacation gets burned during that period....doing what I enjoy the most...spending time with my wife...5 kids...and close friends and family...catfish camping...with a tent, campfire, fresh fish fillets, grilled steak and coal baked potatoes, roasted hotdogs and brats, drunken chicken, campfire pizza, smores, and a big cooler stocked full of ice cold beer and diet Coke...under a big shade tree or two in the riverpark at the low water dam located at Chetopa, Kansas.

The flathead bite heats up during their spawn at roughly the same time as the blues...so a mixed bag is common...especially so when using live bait such as shad, creek chubs, or perch.

After the spawn fizzles...and summer begins...the Neosho water levels typically plunge...it gets really skinny.

The blues head back downstream to the lake...the flathead disperse away from the dam where they were concentrated for the last couple of months...and most significantly...the shad go back to the lake as well. With the primary forage gone...the fish are gone...at least until their return next spring....when the cycle of life repeats itself...as it always has.

From July all the way through mid to late December my attention turns to the roughly 400 strip pits...the remnants of coal surface mining during the 50's...that are stocked, managed, and maintained by the Kansas Dept. of Wildlife and parks.

These pits range in size from 1 acre finger pits or potholes...to 100 acre plus miniature reservoirs....averaging 30-40' deep.

One pit...the largest one...is 100 yards wide on average...and is almost 3 miles long.

All are stocked with channel cats, bass, crappie, and sunfish/perch. Some are stocked with walleye as well.

One...a spring fed...80' deep...120 acre pit...is stocked 8 months out of the year...bi-weekly...with rainbow and brown trout. That pit was already known for big catfish and bass long before the introduction of fingerling and yearling trout 8 years ago.

The Kansas state record channel cat...36 1/2 lb...came out of the "trout" pit a few years back by a guy using cut trout...which is a legal bait in Ks as long as it was caught by legal means. (Hook and line)

Several bass from 8 lb up to 11 1/2 lb have been taken in the last few years as well. My prediction is that the state record largemouth comes from there as well. (11 3/4 lb is the current record)

Yet others have whitebass, hybrids, flathead, and blues from where the river gets into some pits during highwater cycles...or from illegal stockings by fishermen.

We'll usually bank fish the smaller pits or sometimes the shallow end of a larger pit...especially during unseasonably warm days during the colder months...a few days in a row is even better...and catch channel cats whose size and ferocity when they bite belie the typical notion of fish caught in the winter having a soft bite.

A favorite target is partially submerged stumps or standing timber...which absorbs sunlight...and raises the water temp immediately surrounding it. Not much...sometimes only a subtle 1 to 3 degrees...but plenty enough though for a cold blooded fish to notice the difference.

We primarily fish from a boat in the medium and larger pits though...setting up and anchoring over or near an extended point, a rockpile, a submerged road bed, an underwater hump, a weedline, or a shallow flat with close access to deeper water...especially targeting structure that occurs within those areas....typically using a vertical presentation of a Carolina...or perhaps a 3 way swivel rig with a hefty sinker.

The one thing that does not change around here in tactics that vary from what you may do on a river Vs. what you may do in a lake to catch fish...is the bait.

Black perch are a mainstay in my baitwell whether I'm fishing for blues or flats on the Neosho river...or whether we're catching channel cats, walleye, and bass in the strip pits.

When it comes to preference between the lake and the river...for me the choice is an easy one.

The pits are a very nice alternative when the river bite subsides...and I sure DO love the walleye fillets I always manage to get...accidentally most times...while targeting channel cats.

We're fortunate to have the nearly 15,000 total acres of public access strip pits in our backyard. (Less than 15 minutes away from my driveway) I don't know what I'd do without them during the summer, fall, and winter months.

HOWEVER....The river wins hands down IMO.

That exhileration you feel when a 20-40 lb sow blue takes your offering while wading in a hip deep water....the ensuing KABOOSH...KABOOSH...KABOOSH...of it coming to the surface and thrashing its tail...and digging for deeper water...the reel singing off the 65 lb Power-Pro braid line...the 11' medium action E-Glass livebait rod surging to the point to where you're very concerned that it'll break. (Which hasn't happened...YET!)

It's knowing that the next fish just might very well be your new personal best....and sadly...knowing full well that the spawn won't last much longer...and the fish will be gone for another long year.

THAT has extended sooo many of my fishing trips that started out being something like..."I only have time for a couple hours today..."

I can't stand to quit when the next cast might yield that blue cat that lies beyond that elusive 50 lb barrier that I haven't yet overcome....especially if the bite is HOT.

That's all a guy ever needs...One more cast.

15. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I fish both if i feel like walking and searching for the cats ill go to the stream and if i want to kick back ill go to the lake. ive always fished both.

16. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm... Is this a question of which one we would rather fish or which one do we actually fish?

For me... If its got water, I'll fish it.

17. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I fish both there is a small river close by that I fish when its up enough to get up and down. There is also small game and fish lake close by that I fish.

18. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm a bank fisherman 99% of the time. The river I fish has more bank fishing opportunities than the local lakes, so I'm fishing the river. It may be an incorrect assumption, but I feel like there is a better chance of catching large catfish from the bank of a river than from the bank of a lake. One of my favorite places to fish the river is below the lock and dam, this section of river is off limits to boats for several hundred yards down stream. This gives us bank fishermen access to a lot of prime catfish water where boats have no access.

19. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I voted 50/50. I like BIG rivers, and BIG lakes because that means a chance at a BIG catfish. There is a small river called the Salt river nearby that was damed to make the Mark Twain lake. Occasionally, I will fish what's left of that river because you never know what you will catch in there. One day within about 30 minutes with a bass buster natural colored worm, I caught a small mouth, 2 walleye, 2 crappie, a striper, a few channel cats, and a perch. I've hooked into fish much larger than I was prepaired to land at the time, so there are big fish in small streams sometimes. Then there was the time I got caught in a flash flood while wade fishing in the Salt river, and I almost died, so I don't do that anymore, but it was fun until that happened. I would advise that if you are going to go wading in a river, wade upstream. I went down stream, and almost didn't make it back. To me all fishing is a blast!!! Since I have alot of responsibilities these days, unfortunantly fishing isn't as leisure as it used to be. I go to catch fish, so I go where I have the best chance to catch 'em.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I fish Both but I will fish any where pond stream river lake ocean long as its fishing and it don`t care what kind of fish as long AS HE BITES