Strawberry Preserves

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by SilverCross, Nov 16, 2005.

1. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    An elderly lady said that her and her hubby use to use Strawberry preserves to catch cats with. I tried some this summer but it has been a really bad year around here for fishing. Water is so low they haven't been biting. I usually catch a lot of channels around here, but not this year. I am going to try them again next spring and see if they will do good. After reading other posts one here about persimmons and wild grapes and such I think it just might work. What is your thoughts toward this?? Has anybody else tried this idea?? Dick

2. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I have never tried this but can't see how it can be much different than using strawberry jello to flavor things. Are you planning on making some kind of doughbait with the preserves? If you use just bread and the preserves you might catch me.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know people that have caught quite a few channel cats on strawberry flavored doughballs...Also alot on vanila flavored doughballs.

4. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Give them a try. I've caught cats on rasins, so they might like strawberries too. I've seen them eat mulberries that dropped into the water, but never used them as bait.

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I took my young daughter to the Great Miami River after work one night. Had PBJ sandwiches bagged up, and when she took hers out it fell in the dusty mud bank - inedible. We weren't doing much good with the worms and cutbait that night, so I loaded her hook with a doughball made from that sandwich that had blackberry jam on it. She took a 5-lb channel. Put another out, and she got little flattie. Third try, caught a carp about 7-lbs. She outdid everything I was using that night. Should have seen the smiles!!

I know channels and bullheads will hang out under a mullberry tree to get the windfall when they're ripe. Why not jelly?