Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Strawberry Doughball Bait

29K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Manosteel 
#1 ·
i read awhile back on a website about strawberry doughballs,i seen several pics of large catfish this gentleman caught with this bait,i have made some but not tried it yet,you take 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal ,to jello or coolaid mixed in water,make the strawberry part really strong he said,and then add equal mix of flour and cornmeal until you get the desired consistency,like i said i have made some but have not had a chance to try it,if i find the site i will post the url so you can all check it out yourself,l8r

#2 ·
Jeff, It is known as carp candy and it does work for both carp & cats. I'm trying it next week on trout at tanny como lake it Missouri. I make up the little bitty balls and lay them out on a board in the sun to dry. I notice You're from Great Bend. I worked the oil field out of GB when I was a kid.1955,57.
Good Luck !
Carl

#3 ·
yeah,they said it was for carp but would always get more cats than carp,likei said i have never used it yet,but am wanting to try,i plan on using it on a spring loaded treble hook,yeah my dad worled the oilfield here in the 70s and 80s when it was booming real big,hey stubby let me know how you do with it,im taking some out this weekend as well to try out,l8r

#6 ·
saw a similar recipe just today in a bass fishing forum i lurk in a bit and did try last spring a recipe i got here in BOC ??? i dunno?? strawberry jello, corn meal, etc and never had much luck with it. experimented with many jello baits actually and none did very well.

#7 ·
well i make something similiar, but the way i make it costs a littlemore, i take a loaf of bread, some strawberry nestle quick syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla extract. i mix it all right in the bread sack. as you nead the bread, throw in the jar of peanut butter, and about half a shot glass of vanilla, then work it in with your hands, it will be very sticky, then just add a little strawberry syrup and nead the loaf again, repeat until you get the consistancy the way you want it, then when i take the bait fishing i will bring the bottle (whats left of it anyways) of strawberry syrup and cover my doughball in it after i have put it on my treble hook, then cast it out, your almost sure to catch something, carp and cats, especially channel cat love this bait.

#14 ·
I have made strawberry banana chicken livers with great success. The channels will tear these things up. Just mix one package of jello in one tub of livers and let it sit in the fridge all night. It will actually help cure the liver some so they stay on the hook longer. Give it a try you absolutely will not be disappointed!!! Good Luck!!

#16 ·
KanHeadhunter said:
The dough bait I use for carp is strawberry pop & wheaties. Just pour in enough pop to make the cereal doughy. I have never caught catfish on it.
MY GRANDFATHER USED THE SAME INGREDIENTS FOR HIS DOUGHBAIT. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT WAS CRAZY. BUT HE WOULD CATCH BOTH CARP AND CHANNEL CATS IN FRONT OF HIS HOUSE ON GRAND LAKE. SO HANG IN THER IT STILL MAY WORK FOR YOU YET.

#20 ·
I just made up a batch of strawberry boilies...here ya go if interested

Basically....a dough mix

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 beaten eggs
strawberry jello mix (half box)
2/3 cup of sugar

you can add semolina, couscous, smashed star anise....whatever you want at this point...work it until it is thick and stiff...add whatever to get here...water if too dry....flour/corn meal if too wet. Let it firm up to where it doesn't stick to your fingers and start rolling into balls (might want to start your water boiling somewhere in here)...

After a nice batch of balls is rolled about equal size...dump them in the boiling water...smaller sizes, about 60-90 seconds is prob good....larger sizes (1/2" to 3/4"...maybe 2 mins or so)

Scoop them out and put on an elevated screen or something to air dry.

Leave them out till the outside gets pretty hard (I set my racks in the window and let the sun dry them out more quickly))...when that is done, put them in a container and soak them down in Strawberry syrup...(Hershey's, etc)....close container, shake them up to make sure all are coated...toss in the freezer till night before you go fishing.

This is a warm water/summertime bait...won't work worth a hoot in cold water....warmwater = sweet....coldwater = protein

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.