Strangest thing seen floating in the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Stl-Stitch, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    After reading all the stories of several people being hit by trees, barrels and refrigerators the question came to mind, what is the strangest thing you have seen floating on the river?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Here at home years ago on the Ouchita river me and a buddy of mine were fishing just below lock 8. We noticed a floating log and something shiny layiing on it. We fished along closer to it and found a brand new rod and reel just laying on the log and it wasn't hung up on it either. It was just laying on it as if someone placed it there. Nice rod and baitcasting reel too.

3. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    last fall we almost got hit by a nitrogen tank about 5 feet tall and 2 feet around on the Missouri at KC. That's why I have a clip and a float on my anchor rope. Not really something you want hitting a $30,000 fiberglass boat.Or any boat on second thought.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Kyle, You're the strangest thing I have ever seen floating down the river!!!! LMAO!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

No, I have seen some weird sheet, refridgerators, 1 dodge ram truck( although it wasn't floating), propane tanks, empty boats, boat dock. I'm sure there will be other things in the future!

5. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Once on the ohio river saw a giant dead pig floating. Feet up :smile2:

6. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    A plane. It was late fall and the plane was landing on the river. Float down and take off again. Could take care of some Asian carp with that propeller I suppose.

7. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sitten on the river you see alot crap floating down the river the weirdest thing i've seen was a guy in a fishing tube i thought he was crazy to doing it but also doing it alone. i have also caught a front of a air condiioner window unit on a jug. yes we need to do more to kill asian carp i would hate to see these small rivers and creeks in ten years. i wonder if they chase catfish away? im already afraid of being hit upside my head :cool2::angry:

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey kevin... I been lookin' for that thanks! I'll pm you my shipping address!:wink:
    I seen a halloween skull bucket floating down river in July half full of candy.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm not on the miss, but I picked up a $1.00 bill on the kansas river floating by. Thats the best thing I ever seen float by.

10. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was on the Mo. river during high water in 93 and saw a big Red fuel barrel floating by, we got just about close enough to grab the hose when it hit a whirl pool and rolled over and we realized the stand was still on it. It went in the air and came crashing back into the water inch's from my boat. Don't know where it got to, but we decided to let it go. Found a brand new propane tank last year full of gas! It was a tall one like goes on a Travel trailer.
    :big_smile:

11. Ryan 57

Ryan 57 New Member

State:
    Illinios
    The most odd thing that i've ever seen has to be a dead calf. The river wasn't even floaded, I'm pretty sure a farmer just decided that the fish would want to eat it more than he did!

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    It was about 10 years ago on the mo river. Fishing at the powerplant at Mo city. Looked up and a small plane was floating down the river being pulled by a couple of boats. They pulled it to Kooley lake ramp. They told me that they had to do a emercancy landing. Tryed to land on a sand bar and didnt make it.

Tom

13. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Found 7 softballs all swirling and floating together behind a wing dike near Craig, MO. They had "University of Nebraska-Omaha" written on them.

14. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have saw a older barge(scrap metal) float down around Glasgow and just sink.

15. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Two summers ago I was fishing the Mississippi, just above the 270 bridge. It was a bout 3am and the bite which had been strong was slowing down. We were just sitting there in the dark and enjoying the rest after a busy night of fishing when SPLASH!!!!! about 6 feet from our boat a "trucker bomb" (milk jug loaded with urine) landed in the water. It scared the begeezes out of us but we sure were glad that it did not land IN the boat.

16. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I saw a car float for a little while at Hermann. Driver didnt put it in park and it ran into the river. I also saw a 20foot sea ark floating with a Britney Spears lookalike in it. VERY STRANGE INDEED:wink::wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    About a month ago my dad and I were fishing the Mississippi 30 miles or so north of Memphis and saw a toilet seat and a dead dog.I jokingly said that we may even see a body floating in the river. Afew minuetes later saw what looked like a small baby. It was a doll but scared the crap out of me.

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well when we had some floods i seen a pretty rooser peasent floating on a haybell just heading down the arkansas river. i think he was trying to figure out what was going up, just kept lookin around and squaking.

19. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Last year in the may flood on the mo I saw a jet ski and its dock float right by me

20. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Saw a guy and a gal in a jon boat behind Howell Island going to town.:crazy: